Airport Express or Airport Extreme...which to buy?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a wireless router for my new macbook, deciding between airport express and airport extreme. Generally I'm using it for about 4 computers max, and sharing one printer. My main concern is whether there is a speed difference between these two...i can't seem to find any answers.

Any advice of what's the pros and cons for both?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
There should not be a speed difference. They use the same wireless technology. I think the main differences involve the ports on each.

Express--can be used for wireless music streaming. Not sure if it has an ethernet port or not.

Extreme--multiple ethernet ports. What if you want to connect a PC that isn't wireless? Also, has ability to write wirelessly to an external USB drive. Missing the wireless music streaming capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I personally have both, since they have different uses. You should look into them and then see which of the two has everything or at least the majority of what you are looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.