Graphics card issues

Reaction score
I just got a brand new iMac. I think I'm having an issue with the graphics card, or maybe the computer itself??
Before I continue, here are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo
3.06 GHz
4 GB of RAM
Bus Speed 1.07 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS

Now I figured this is a ton of power to run any game that's out for mac on full quality. I grabbed spore and it runs beautifully on the graphics settings maxed out, and it looks great. But when I went online and grabbed some game demos (age of empires 3, doom 3, Quake 4, call of duty 2) I couldn't run these games at full. They would always stutter here and there, and if anything got to busy on screen, it was a joke for a system this powerful. Plus these games are 3 to 5 years old, nothing this computer should have a problem with. Is this normal?

I'm new to mac. Any info would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Are these older games PPC or Intel?
If PPC, they are running under an emulator (Rosetta) and will run a little slower on your Intel machine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah those games are all ppc. I had a feeling tha them being older was the problem. A shame, all that power and those games don't work as well with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Check to see if any of those games have a patch released to make them universal binaries. That will vastly enhance their performance on your machine.

Also, the Mac is not really a gamer's machine. If you want to play games, you should install Windows via Boot Camp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.