Show view options

Reaction score
Just recently made the switch from Windows to Mac and was wondering if this is possible:

Is there a way to make the finder show files in alphabetical order but with the sub folders all on top of the list followed by the files, similar to how windows explorer does it? I just find it difficult to be needing to scroll down just to find a sub folder with let say a name like misc if you have hundred of files with names starting from A to L.

I have read that putting a space before the name will bring it to the top of the list, but I just don't feel comfortable having a folder that begins with a space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Finder > View > Show View options > Arrange by Kind.

In List View click on the Kind column to sort by Kind.
Best.

OP
R
Reaction score
Finder > View > Show View options > Arrange by Kind.

In List View click on the Kind column to sort by Kind.
Best.

It does group the folders together but not neccesarily put them on top, plus I loose the alphabetical hierarchy of the other files.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As stated above, while in List View, click first on Name to arrange in alphabetical order, then on Kind to arrange by type.

They are all in alphabetical order according to each kind at this point. Expand the Kind column and take a look at it to see what I mean. Each 'Kind' is now in alphabetical order and all files within each 'Kind' are in alphabetical order together.

To go back to a purely alphabetical order unrelated to "Kind" simply click on 'Name' again.

There is no option that will only list folders at the top as their "Kind" is 'Folder' and then list all other types in alphabetical order irrespective of 'Kind'.

A little confusing at first (maybe not confusing, just different) due to our old Windows thinking, but it won't take long to get use to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.