Video Card Questions

M

mitchryan

I'm looking at upgrading to either a single or dual 1.8 PM G5.

I have an existing video card (windows pc) that is a Radeon 9700 (non-pro). I understand this will physically fit in a G5, but does anyone know the state of play for drivers? Ati.com gives me no real information, and i'd appreciate some help.

Regards,
Mitch

Reaction score
mitchryan said:
I'm looking at upgrading to either a single or dual 1.8 PM G5.

I have an existing video card (windows pc) that is a Radeon 9700 (non-pro). I understand this will physically fit in a G5, but does anyone know the state of play for drivers? Ati.com gives me no real information, and i'd appreciate some help.

Regards,
Mitch

I'm no expert, but i have been told that a winders card will not work in a mac, that you have to get a mac version. I know, it sucks, and if by some chance it does work, let me know as i have a couple of them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
search the manufacturers site, if there are drivers for it, it should work, if not, youre outta luck.

OP
R

richiestang78

Well even with drivers a windows card will not work. Some cards can be physically hacked using soldering and wires to make it mac compadable but it will void both the cards warrenty and your computers. Just shop around and get a mac specific card. the new X800 are pricey but are very powerful, also go for the dual.

OP
L

Lorn

I've been looking around for the same question. I have a 9800 Pro from an old PC before I made the "switch" and I'd like to replace the 5200 Ultra included in my dual 1.8 G5. The 9800XT from Apple is about $300 and that is a rediculous price seeing as how I could get an X800 Pro for that much in a PC. I'm still looking a way to flash the firmware, no hardware modification is necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.