ibook spacebar issue

M

MBV

I have a 12' ibook with 1.2GHZ that I bought maybe a month ago. Everything is fine with the ibook except that the spacebar for the keyboard sometimes gets stuck. I mean stuck as in that it still works, but you have to apply a significant amount of additional pressure to use the spacebar, until it eventually unloosens itself. This gets annoying after a while. I popped open the keyboard and tried to see what was wrong, but I didn't get very far for the fear that I might mess something up (I even stupidly opened it up while the ibook was running, which made the ibook crash).

Anyone else face this problem? Is there a way to fix the problem? Should I just stop whining and suck it up? (optional question) Could the crash have messed up my ibook?

OP
V

VictoryRose

MBV said:
I have a 12' ibook with 1.2GHZ that I bought maybe a month ago. Everything is fine with the ibook except that the spacebar for the keyboard sometimes gets stuck. I mean stuck as in that it still works, but you have to apply a significant amount of additional pressure to use the spacebar, until it eventually unloosens itself. This gets annoying after a while. I popped open the keyboard and tried to see what was wrong, but I didn't get very far for the fear that I might mess something up (I even stupidly opened it up while the ibook was running, which made the ibook crash).

Anyone else face this problem? Is there a way to fix the problem? Should I just stop whining and suck it up? (optional question) Could the crash have messed up my ibook?

i dont think the crash should harm anything, just be sure to turn it off next time ;). as far as the spacebar goes, is something stuck under it, i know one time i had a piece of food stuck under my spacebar on my old notebook and after a healthy amount of compressed air and some patience, i got it out.

Reaction score
Yes, sounds clogged up to me too. If you can't get it fixed then I would contact apple support, if your lucky they will send a new keyboard in the post. Worth a try anyway and maybe they have some good advice as well.

OP
M

MBV

Thanks guys, I don't know if there is anything stuck under the keyboard, but I will try dusting it anyways. If it keeps up hopefully my warrently still works. Hehe.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Sometimes my spacebar feels like it hasn't been used for weeks so I have to press it again to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.