iPhoto Question.

Reaction score
All . . . . Is there a way to set up iPhoto whereby you can have 'folders" behind each main event folder. in other words, I want to have one event folder called "Christmas", and then when I click into it there are multiple Christmas folders, i.e. Christmas 2005, Christmas 2006, Christmas 2007 behind it. In other words a Windows type of drop down approach so I don't have to have a folder for each Christmas year photos cluttering the main screen in iPhoto. Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Grant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
It makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, it isn't possible. iPhoto comes up short if you have a large photo library.

One option is to create multiple libraries. You pick the library you want each time you start iPhoto. I have 3 libraries--1 for my work, 1 called Personal (family and friends), and 1 called Trips. By breaking down the number of photos in each library to something manageable, then you can get by with an Event for each "folder" all showing simultaneously.

Try holding down the Option key while you start iPhoto.

Or, for a little bit more of an interface, check out Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager. The free version works great.

OP
G
Reaction score
Wonderful,,,,,thank you. So fat cat will give me what im looking for you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
It's an alternative to what you are looking for. If you can break your photo collection into three or four main categories, you should be able to manage with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
The easiest thing to do is to create a new folder within the iPhoto app called "Christmas" (File>new folder). Then create a new album or smart album (you can select an entire event or selected photos within the event and choose to create a new album from selection, or you can create the album first, and drag specific photos into it) for each of 2005, 2006, etc. and put those albums in the Christmas folder. Expand and collapse the folder using the little arrow next to the name. Exactly what you are looking for, no hassles at all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.