Dead iPhone 3G

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
So I received an SMS message and ignored it, then the phone vibrated again shortly after to remind me I had a message and I went to unlock the phone to read it, the phone just died.

Pressing either button does not wake it up.

Plugging it in to the computer or the mains charger doesn't wake it up either.

What gives? Any way to do a hard reset or anything to force it back to life?

Luckily I still have my older generation jail broken iPhone and am using it until I can revive the 3G model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This should help. How to enter DFU Restore Mode

Also, since it's definitely still under warranty, why not just take it in to get fixed??

Good luck!

Reaction score
You know you bring up an interesting point: how is a hard reset done in a phone where you cannot remove the battery?? The manual doesn't address how to do that??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You're welcome. Glad it worked. I've read that it's the last ditch effort to revive a dead iPhone (or useful in unlocking) and helped a lot of people. Thankfully I've never had to use it for myself.

Reaction score
This should help. How to enter DFU Restore Mode

Also, since it's definitely still under warranty, why not just take it in to get fixed??

Good luck!

I just joined this forum to say thanks to you, my phone literally just died too. I was in the sun, probably about 30c outside, took 2 photos, put it straight back in my pocket and went to get it out again and it had died. I went to that site, followed the holding buttons method, didn't even need to connect to iTunes and it's back.

So thanks to your advice you have managed to make my trip back to the UK far far less stressful as I can listen to my music and make important calls/emails! :) :) :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.