Correcting bad shots

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
I was wondering how many of you experienced (and novice like myself) photographers have to correct some or any of your shots in (insert favorite program here) with your mac. I say this because I took my new Xsi out for its first spin at an exhibition that my daughters cheer team put on. In order to get the action shots with the faster shutter speeds, it meant that the pics came out way too dark. If I lowered the shutter speed, then the subjects would blur due to their speed. The lighting wasn't your normal bright stage lighting, just overhead flourescent lighting. For most of the shots, I had the following settings. Shutter speed was at 1/30-1/50, F5.0, ISO 800 when flash used. My wife wanted me to take more shots even if they aren't perfect and have me correct them on the mac. Sorry for the long post, just trying to learn how to use my new Xsi.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You could try lightroom, or photoshop. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Or Aperture.

I basically make adjustments to all pictures that I want to keep and do something with for the future. It is amazing what improvements you can make with Aperture and in the old days, the work in the darkroom was also important for the final result, not only the shoot just as software corrections are today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo processor / 15" / 120Gb HD / SuperDrive / Express / Firewire / Tiger OS X
For indoor shots, you could think about using a custom White Balance, or one of the camera's settings so you get the best possible photo under fluorescent lighting.

These days you can apply WB settings to photos afterwards though. I've found Lightroom to be the better package for me personally. But, if you blow a photo out, there's nothing you can do to fix it, and composition needs to be spot on as well, otherwise you'll need to crop, something I don't like doing.

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
all great suggestions. Thank you. After posting this, my wife told me now that I have a good camera, I should buy photoshop or another program to work with the shots. Couldn't believe she said it, so I am going to strike while the iron is hot....
So basically it seems that most people DO make corrections after loading the photos. I will be trying to get the lighting and settings right before I take the shots, but I guess I shouldn't feel bad about having to make adjustments later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 667 | 250GB Seagate Momentus | 8600M GT
Use Photoshop or Lightroom to do your editing. I personally use Photoshop, but you can use whichever program you like better.

If your photos are coming out too dark, you might want to adjust the exposure and brightness in your program of choice. That's the most basic and easiest method in my opinion, but there are other ways you can do it in-camera, like adjusting exposure compensation and setting custom white balances.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
Learn how to really use that XSi first...cause I know you can get good indoor actions shot w/ it.

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats the plan, to learn how to really use it and get great indoor action shots. That was the main reason I asked for it for Xmas.... So far I am just using the lens that came in the kit. I will be adding more lenses in the future.

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
while on the topic of great indoor shots, if i am shooting at an indoor event, inside a convention center with bright stage lights, from about 100 feet away MAX, will the attached flash be enough, if one is even needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 667 | 250GB Seagate Momentus | 8600M GT
while on the topic of great indoor shots, if i am shooting at an indoor event, inside a convention center with bright stage lights, from about 100 feet away MAX, will the attached flash be enough, if one is even needed.

How bright is "bright" in your case? If it's REALLY bright, then you shouldn't need a flash. However... in my limited experience using flashes, I would say that 100ft is out of the reach of the built-in flash.

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So that I wouldn't hijack someone else's thread, I will put some of my first shots here. Feel free to tell me how to correct them, I am here to learn. I put the settings in the description of the shots. This stage is NOT the typical set up for the events that I will be taking shots at, just my first attempts.

rocketman766_cheerpics - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Feel free to tell me how to correct them, I am here to learn.

I noticed you said ISO was at 1600 at 10ft away. I would go no higher than 400 if you can help it - too much noise at that high of an ISO. Try using aperture priority set to around f/4 or f/3.5.

Also, invest in a bounce flash with a diffuser. At 10 feet away and what looks to be high ceilings, I'd pull out the diffuser panel used for 14mm focal length on my SB-600 and set it for balance (or fill) flash and it turns out pretty good. Then you can use a faster shutter and reduce blur.

Here's an example where I used the above settings on a boat with low ceilings. Couldn't aim it straight up or at an angle, so pointed forward with the diffuser seemed to work out best.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3218/3127103207_182a989985_b.jpg

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your help and comments. I will make the above changes and give them a try. Always looking for tips, plus I am hoping to be able to get a better position at the next event. I will keep posting my shots and will gladly accept more help and comments.

Reaction score
The reality is, the kit lens that came on the camera doesn't open up enough to get a fast enough shutter speed in a gym (the more a lens opens up , the more light comes in). As you get more comfortable with the camera you'll fine yourself wanting a 2.8 is lens. You can fix the white balance fairly easy, but theirs nothing you can do about the motion blur.
An off camera flash would help get the shutter speed up also. If you get one use the camera in p or m mode though.
welcome to the world of spend spend spend that we know as slr.

OP
rocketman766
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find myself using the exposure compensation meter in the viewfinder alot as I am learning and already have mumbled to myself that I would like a 2.8 lens. I have already listed a couple on my "wish list". I keep waiting for my father in law to get back to me with a list of his lenses to see which ones will fit my Xsi... I have no idea what body he has or what lenses, he hasn't touched them in a few yrs so I sit and wait...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.