3G or WiFi?

JRV

Reaction score
Sorry to be posting such dumb questions on here.

I just realized that my iPhone could check email and surf the web with the WiFi turned off. I thought those things used the WiFi signal? Can someone clue me in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
If your phone has WiFi on, it will use that when it's connected to a WiFi network.

If WiFi is turned off, it will use internet connection your phone has, 3G in your case.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
If your phone has WiFi on, it will use that when it's connected to a WiFi network.

If WiFi is turned off, it will use internet connection your phone has, 3G in your case.

So that is what the extra $30 data charge is? Also I'm guessing that where ever my phone gets a 3G signal I can also check email without needing WiFi?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Whenever you have the "3G", "E" or "o" icon in the top left you can check email or surf the web. Checking e-mail falls under the data plan for your phone since e-mail is data. If you are on a Wi-Fi network you are not using AT&Ts data network but you still pay the $30/month flat rate. In general, most Wi-Fi networks are faster than 3G, but not all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
In a nut shell, yes.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Ok thanks everybody. That is just amazing. I've been playing with it for a few days now and it just keeps amazing me how easy it is to use. Unbelievable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I've also noticed that when WiFi is enabled, battery life is longer. I can only guess that since WiFi is faster and the radio is used less when then the 3G radio when my phone is downloading/checking email (more data packets exchanged over 3G especially when there's a poor signal).

I get about 16 hours on a full charge with 1/3 brightness and moderate to heavy usage, with WiFi off I only get about 10 to 12 hours usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Where possible I use Wi-Fi because it uses less battery life and it is usually quicker. There is not nearly as many Wi-Fi places here in the UK as there is in the US though so I find myself using 3G pretty much all the time when I am out and about.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has been noticing that using the 3G network to send email and check weather etc. hasn't been working lately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Just curious if anyone has been noticing that using the 3G network to send email and check weather etc. hasn't been working lately?
Fine here. It may be the area you are in.

I'm surprised WiFi gives you guys better battery life. It's usually the other way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Every time AT&T does a network upgrade in a geographical area, service goes in the toilet. Give it a day or two, it will pick back up.

Reaction score
Fine here. It may be the area you are in.

I'm surprised WiFi gives you guys better battery life. It's usually the other way around.

I agree, I've always thought that wifi decreases battery life.... Makes sense in the fact that it can collect data faster..but isn't the 3G, E or o always on anyways?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.