Default settings in Preview

m+e

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.5.5
I'm trying to change the default settings in Preview for a couple of things but have not been able to find any indication for how to do this, or if it is even possible.

1. Since upgrading to Leopard I've found that documents open at a very large zoom and strange page format. I'd like to set the default to open without the sidebar and of a zoom of about 85% with a more normal window size (A4 page dimensions is what I'm thinking of). Is it possible to control these defaults? I never had this problem before I updated my laptop.

2. When I use the "Save As" option, the default quality for jpeg and other options comes out as less than the best available. I use this function a lot and would like to be able to save time by having it set as default to the highest quality available. Is there a way I can control these options?

I am using Preview Version 4.1 (469.2.2) on OS X 10.5.5.

Thankyou for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
There are options for setting the scale for PDFs in Preview preferences. Under Preview on the Menu Bar.
I have mine set at 90% but you can set any zoom% you want and have set open sidebar for TOC only.
As far as using 100% quality for saving jpegs I slide the % slider in Save As to 100% automatically now :)

10.5.6. Preview version 4.1 (469.4)

OP
M

m+e

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.5.5
thanks torchy - I've managed to get documents opening at reasonable zooms, but the open sidebar for TOC only options doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. Checked or unchecked it always opens, and I've tried restarting after selecting this box. Any ideas what I can do to fix this? (have looked for any updates required already).

I know I can just move the slider to get high quality, but every now and again I forget and then once I notice have to go back and re-save things at the correct quality - it wastes a lot of time, so finding a way to choose my defaults would be great.

Reaction score
There is no preference for the quality setting - it is just the default setting for the UI (user interface item) slider in the Preview application. If you are REALLY determined to have it set to full, you could install the developer tools and change it. I tried to find some command line (terminal) way to do it - without success.

edit: Or, if it would seem that there are no copyright issues involved, I could do it for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.