60 gig iPod Video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
I got a 60 gig iPod off of ebay and it's not working properly. It will download songs, but when playing them, it will at times play only part of a song and then skip to the next song without finishing the one it's on. It seems to do it at random too. Sometimes it will do it on song "A", but other times it will play song "A" all the way through. I cannot get through 8 songs with out this issue happening once or twice. I have wiped clean the iPod and restored it several times, both in normal and disk mode, but nothing seems to fix it.

Questions 1, is has anyone seen or had this happen and can you reccommend a fix for it?

Question 2, since I think it's a hard drive issue, can I swap a 30 gig 5th gen HDD in there to see if it will work? Is the iPod OS somehow connected to it's supposed gig space? I.E. will it tell me I can't do that because it's not a big enough HDD? I don't have the cash to drop for a new iPod, and I don't need 120 gigs anyways, but I don't want to buy an HDD or another ipod all together if the 30 gig out of my old one with a screwed up headphone jack will work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have encountered this before. Plug the iPod into your computer, open iTunes, select the iPod and click "Restore". That has always fixed this issue for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have only found the odd track ever to skip on, usually ones encoded with the Lame library, but not all

I found re-encoding the file in iTunes cured it, but try it on one problem track to see if that is the cause

OP
breadfan35
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
I have encountered this before. Plug the iPod into your computer, open iTunes, select the iPod and click "Restore". That has always fixed this issue for me.

As stated in my original post, I have already restored it many times to no avail.

However I did a HDD swap with my old 30 gig and it seems to be working now. I need to test a few more things first, but so far so good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.