Parallels/Boot Camp Issues...Help Needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi to all

Let me first apologise if this has been asked before, or is posted in the wrong area, but I have a problem with Parallels/Boot Camp.

I have had Windows boot camp on my iMac now for nearly two years and it works fine when I boot into it. About six months ago (maybe longer) I downloaded the trial of Parallels 3.0 but did not bother to buy it after expiration as I did not use it as much as I thought I would. Now the situation has changed and I decided that I would buy a copy from amazon.

As the original download of Parallels was still on the iMac, I have just entered the new product key that came in the box into the existing programme. When I start Parallels now, I encounter the following problems.

The icon in the dock turns into an egg timer and Parallels starts. A black screen appears and the words "Parallels Configuration" is highlighted and then the windows XP loading page appears. I then get the two tone blue windows page with the words "autoch' and something about session manager initiation process terminated. After this, I cannot go any further. If I try to press the start key again, I get the message "unable to open the disk image Boot Camp".

I am sure that I have used up my last install of my Windows disk, so would prefer not to have to reinstall windows within Parallels...but after saying that, windows works fine in Boot Camp so I don't think this is the issue.

BTW, I downloaded the latest build and installed this.

Please could anyone help me resolve this problem. I have posted on Parallels site, but have had no answer.

Thanks

Philip

Reaction score
I would uninstall Parallels completely. Then download a new version and pay for it. If XP is working under boot camp, it's just a Parallels issue and probably related to the expiration of your trial version. While you're at it, you might want to try Fusion as well before committing to buy one.

Good luck.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply.

I have bought a copy of Parallels. Originally i downloaded a trial version from the Parallels site, but did not buy the product when the trial expired. Now, six or so months later, I have bought the boxed version from amazon, but have not installed the software, only used the licence code that came with it, as I never un-installed the trial software..it is still in my applications.

I have the genuine product..it just does not work!

Reaction score
Please try what I suggested - uninstall what you have on there, and for good measure, I would empty your trash and reboot the Mac. Then do a full reinstall with the CD that came with the box. Your original post said all you did was try the license code with what you have. This does not sounds like a license code issue.

Good luck

Reaction score
I am new with the SOFTWARE and found out it will not take an upgrade disk.
:( OH how sad, very very sad! Has anyone actually made this work, or is it impossible? Thanks again.

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Sammyslim

I have resolved the problem.........well, partially resolved it anyway

The problem is with Windows Service Pack 3. I have been into Boot Camp and deleted SP3 and rolled back to SP2. Everything now works as it should. I can use Parallels as normal.

Sadly it seems that Parallels will only work with service pack 3, if you have Boot Camp 2.1 installed, which I have not, due to the fact that this is only available for Leopard and I am using Tiger. At least I can use the odd windows programme now without re-booting.

Thanks

Philip

Reaction score
Ah, makes sense to me now - thanks for the update. Glad you got it figured out! Sorry I wasn't more help ... I run Fusion myself and have not had that issue.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers Sammyslim

Happy new year to you too.

Philip

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.