New iPhone User

JRV

Reaction score
I just got an iPhone as a late Christmas gift. I have to say it is awesome. I just had one noob question though. That extra $30 bucks a month covers all the web surfing and emailing I can do right? And if I use a feature that uses the gps location that is included in the $30 right? I wouldn't want to run up charges I'm unaware of.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
That is correct. Unless you are roaming, then you will be gauged. You can turn off Data Roaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
GPS service itself is free and the GPS feature is built in and is not charged for. The phone does basic triangulation off of cell towers for a rough position and then uses GPS for a fine position. Any app that uses this service uses the phones basic capabilities and you are not charged for anything.

That is correct. Unless you are roaming, then you will be gauged. You can turn off Data Roaming.

I'm not sure that is true unless you leave your country of origin and even that may vary. If you live in the US and go to Europe you will get charged. If you stay in the US (and I presume some parts of Canada and Mexico) you will not be charged.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
What would make data roaming come into play? I'm not sure what data roaming means?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
As long as you are on the AT&T (or a partner) network, you shouldn't get charged for Data Roaming. It's when you get off their network that the charges will apply. For the most part this means if you leave the US, but I believe you are covered in parts of Canada and Mexico.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Data roaming is similar to regular roaming. If you travel out of your network area, say to another country, you will be billed a lot more per call or data usage. Back in the old days before nation wide plans you could be considered roaming while in a different part of the same town. So to avoid the surprise of a $2000 phone bill when you return from vacation double check that data roaming is off. I believe it is located under Settings and then Network.

And yes, the GPS is free it uses the data network for the maps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2.0gHz, 2GB RAM, Leopard
The only thing that's NOT included in the $30 that threw me for a loop was the SMS.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
The only thing that's NOT included in the $30 that threw me for a loop was the SMS.

Yeah I wasn't crazy about that either. From what I so far understand your basic phone plan covers your minutes/text messages, the extra $30 covers the data(web, email, etc). I decided to add the extra 200 text messages for $5. If you do the math it is a lot cheaper to just pay the $5 instead of .20 per text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.