"do not have sufficient privileges"

Reaction score
Hi guys,

When trying to rename some folder on my external HD, or when trying to Empty my Trash, I sometimes get this very annoying message "do not have sufficient privileges".

How can I overcome this issue?

Cheers! :)

Reaction score
Papa wish I could help. I just developed the same problem with Time Machine. Let's hope we get an answer soon.

Reaction score
Are you logged in as the admin, and what are you trying to delete? Are any of them locked files?

Reaction score
Buffalobrave

HI I am the admin and I just developed this problem Sunday 4/Jan/09.
My Time Machine failed and now I can't choose it as backup. I get this message;
"You do not have appropriate access privileges to save file ".0001124cccfc6" in Folder "ES500 ( My External HD )
To view or change access privileges select item in Finder and choose "File"> Get Info.

This does not work and now after 1 years use I can't get TM. The Icon is still on the Desk Top and I can still recover files. The other chage is the TM Icon is now Orange and my Internal HD Icon is back to gray. They bothe were green before this happened. Any clues. ? Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.