Unremovable Volume

Reaction score
HI

I recently loaded windows XP on to my 17" macbook pro using bootcamp. I partitioned that volume to 50gig.

I accidently erased that partition, I miss took it for an external hard drive.

My problem now is that I cant get rid of that partition. Boot camp wont let me reintegrate the volume back into the main hard drive. Does anyone else know how I can fix this without formatting my whole machine?

Thanks

A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
did you erase the partition using disk utility or just eject it

OP
S
Reaction score
I plugged in my external hard drive and tried to back up on it. It said that i could not back up on it unless it was erased, so i hit erase on the wrong disk.Im assuming it was disk utility, any advice??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I plugged in my external hard drive and tried to back up on it. It said that i could not back up on it unless it was erased, so i hit erase on the wrong disk.Im assuming it was disk utility, any advice??

Since you erased the BC partition with Disk Utility, it will no longer be recognized by the BC assistant and therefore can not be restored to OS X.

You'll need to either use Disk Utility to erase the entire drive and re-install OS X and all your apps or use a third party utility to get back the erased drive space without having to re-install.

iPartition

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the info. Is there any freeware available to retrieve the data?

I assume that i would not be able just reinstall windows onto that partition to fox the problem.

iPartition is used for partitioning and formatting with out erasing the wrong disks i gather :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
If you are running Leopard you do NOT need to erase your entire drive.

Simply open Disk Utility, click on your main hard drive, and go to Partition. You can select the Boot Camp partition, delete it, then resize your primary partition to fill the space. Then you can run Boot Camp again to create a new Windows partition and reinstall Windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
thanks for the info. Is there any freeware available to retrieve the data?

I assume that i would not be able just reinstall windows onto that partition to fox the problem.

iPartition is used for partitioning and formatting with out erasing the wrong disks i gather :Smirk:

No freeware that I'm aware of. And yes, iPartition will non-destructively do the partitioning to restore the entire drive to OS X. As it stands now, you can not re-install Windows.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you are running Leopard you do NOT need to erase your entire drive.

Simply open Disk Utility, click on your main hard drive, and go to Partition. You can select the Boot Camp partition, delete it, then resize your primary partition to fill the space. Then you can run Boot Camp again to create a new Windows partition and reinstall Windows.

Thanks ADKhiker worked like a charm!!!!

@chscag thanks for the help!!!!

Just a quick one, I was doing some work on my mac with it charging, and there seems to be a small electrical current flowing over key board area - bottom right and left. It feels like something is pinching my arm, stuck my tongue on it and I cold feel the charge,

Anyone ever heard of anything like this ??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.