Yahoo Mail in Apple Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2GHZ - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD - 500GB External HD - 8GB iPod Touch
Hey everyone

Basically i need to know how to get my Ymail account to work in Apple's Mail app.
Im from the UK so it doesnt cost me to upgrade to the premium account you need, i just don't know were to start.

Any help?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yahoo Mail (the free version) doesn't allow access via POP3 or IMAP, so unless you upgrade to Plus (about $10/year), you can't check it with Mail.app.

There is an alternative to doing this called MacFreePOPs, but it's kind of flakey, since it literally "screen scrapes" your email (i.e it logs into the webmail account on the back end, and reads your email off the "screen" and delivers it to the client). It's also not the easiest thing to configure in the world.

Personally, I got so tired of dealing with it, that I just upgraded my Yahoo account to Plus. It's been much smoother since. Eventually, I'll just transition off of Yahoo Mail and move the Gmail, since the service is completely free there.

Reaction score
Just an update: Mac Mail does work with yahoo mail now. Mine's working fine. Just enable pop forwarding through yahoo mail's web preferences settings. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.