recurring prob w/refurb MBP. Next steps?

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased a refurb MBP from the Apple store. It arrived with problems.

Issue #1: Selecting "shut down" from the Apple menu would cause the machine to restart instead of shut down.

Issue #2: Airport would not connect to any networks. While I think this is a fairly common issue w/MBPs, there was one factor that made this odd. The MBP could see my network, but when I entered my password, I would get a "connection timed out" message. But if I disabled the security on my wireless router, the MBP could not detect the network at all.

So I called Apple tech support, and after doing some troubleshooting, the tech told me to take it to the Apple store and have it sent in for a new logic board and AirPort card.

Fast forward to today: I received my computer via Fedex this morning. The service invoice indicated that both the logic board and AirPort card had been replaced. I fired it up and tested the wireless connection. Viola! Connected with no problems. Unfortunately, it only worked for about 15 minutes. It dropped the connection and I am now back to experiencing Issue #2 again. Frustrated, I turned the computer off, only to discover that Issue #1 had also reappeared.

So here's my question: Is there any other hardware besides the logic board and AirPort card that could be causing this behavior? I'm not sure what else can be replaced. I hesitate to send it back for a refund because there are no more refurb MBPs available in the Apple store, but I don't have high hopes in Apple's ability to solve these issues, either.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else encountered these issues?

Thanks for your comments!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I would take it back.
You never know they replace it with a new machine.

OP
A
Reaction score
I would take it back.
You never know they replace it with a new machine.

I doubt it, since it's a refurbished machine. They do have some "previous generation" MBPs in the Clearance sale, so it all else fails, I'll try to get them to replace the faulty unit with one of those. But I'm not overly optimistic about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Even though it's a refurb it still has the same warrenty and your statutory rights are still the same.

Therefore you are entitled to the same options as everyone else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.