Spilt water into my MacBook Pro

psj

Reaction score
Happened yesterday, toppled a glass half full with water onto the laptop. Most went into the keyboard and some into the trackpad. Mopped as best I could turned it upside down and let it dry. After 24 hours it's a bit buggy. Once turned on it works fine for bout 10 mins then keyboard doesn't respond and every time I click the mouse it registers as a right click. At this stage the computer's frozen but for the mouse and the faulty click. I have to hold down power for a long time before it does an abrupt shutdown. Any ideas? MBP's bout 18 mths old.

Reaction score
Probably not the best idea to run it without thoroughly cleaning inside, under the keys, drying it off before putting electricity through it.

Did you remove the battery and cut any and all power to it as soon as the water touched it? I'm surprised it works and responds correctly for the 10 minutes at first now.

Not to give you the dreaded "Use the search button" answer but I'm afraid that's the best advice I can give you. There was a recent post about spilling wine onto a keyboard, which is surely worse than your case of plain water. They might have found a good solution on that thread. Check it out.

HTH

EDIT: heres the link

mav

Reaction score
Take it to the store maybe?

They'll do repairs for it, regardless of warranty.
You just have to pay for it.

Otherwise.... home owners insurance?

*shrug*

-mav

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
water on my MBP

Not more than 10mins. ago, my kid poured water on to my MBP. Having read the above replies, I have to wonder how much I can get for my kid on ebay. Lol. Sometimes, we have to just accept that bad stuff happens and go from there. I was looking for a reason to get on of the new MBPs. ...time to break the ol' piggy bank. Good luck with yours.

OP
P

psj

Reaction score
I've been using the laptop for the last couple of hours. So far haven't found any issues, but will be keeping an eye out. After I last posted, I left it open to dry a bit more internally....it's been about 72hrs since the original mishap and so far no sign of the bugs. We'll see.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
People get in way too much of a rush to turn on wet electronics, and they end up making things worse.

24-48 hours is NOT enough to ensure that everything is dry unless you physically take the entire machine apart and clean/dry it by hand. If you don't plan on opening up the machine you should leave it for ONE WEEK in a warm location. Anything less than that and you run the risk of doing more damage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.