Trouble networking a wired iMac OS 10.5.6 to a wireless MacBook Pro OS 10.5.6

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place, and my apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere, but after 2 hours of browsing for answers, I've landed here and hope someone can help me. I'm fairly unknowledgeable about networking.

Here's the situation: I can basically connect one way (Macbook Pro to iMac) but not the other (iMac to MBPro). What I want to be able to do is connect (for File Sharing and, if possible, Printer Sharing) FROM my iMac, aka "White Menace" (which is connected via ethernet to a wireless router) TO my MacBook Pro, aka "Grey Menace" (which communicates via AirPort to the wireless router). I am able to connect to the iMac from the MBPro both via Finder/Go/Network/White Menace and also via Finder/Go/Connect to Server/afp://whitemenace.local. But I can't connect to the MBPro from the iMac via either method (it times out and says "Connection Failed").

I turned off Firewall and made sure that File Sharing and Print Sharing are allowed. I suspect - and fear - that it may be an issue with my Router, which I had trouble configuring last year to work with a SlingBox we have (I say "had trouble" meaning: I don't know squat about configuring routers, so it involved a lot of guessing, browsing, experimenting, and it finally worked but I'm not sure how). Our router is a D-LINK DI-524 AirPlus G 802.11g/2.4GHz.

Any advice or links to tutorials would be greatly appreciated. (BTW In addition to several forums here, I've also searched Google and Apple Support for answers, but have only found advice for wireless-to-wireless).

Thanks!
Kris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.