Boot camp windows vista problem

Reaction score
Hey i am attempting to install windows vista onto my macbook, but i am having problems. I partition the drive get to the installer, format the partition the drive then after that it begins installing then all of a sudden it comes up with a message saying "Windows cannot install the required files. This file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are availiable, and restart the installation. Error code:0x80070017". The disc is official and has been replaced with another official disc and still no luck. Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you using Boot Camp Assistant to create the Windows partition?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My guess would be a bad optical drive then. Do you have access to an external that you could try?

OP
F
Reaction score
no but the optical drive seems to be reading the disc fine untill that one problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It almost sounds like the disk you're using is not compatible for use with Boot Camp.

You say the installation disk is an Official one. What does that mean? The disk must be either a MS boxed full install Vista or OEM system builders full install Vista. Recovery versions will not work nor will branded OEM copies.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
ms boxed full install vista, but that doesnt really matter because i tried it again today and it seemed to work. Thanks though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.