Itunes - song info etc.???

I

iBlinded

Hi all!

When i import a cd into itunes is it then possible that all the song/album/artist info can be loaded from a database instead of me sitting and naming them all??

Im new to mac so be gentle :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If you are connected to the internet it should be doing it automatically

In iTunes go to Preferences. In the opening menu make sure connect to the internet when necessary is checked.

You can also just click Advanced and Get CD Track Names

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" G4 1.2 GHz iBook 768mb
You have to highlight the tracks you want info on, first.

And the other cool thing I did this weekend: drag album covers for each album from Amazon.com. now, when a song plays, it shows the album cover!!! So cool!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
If I've chosen 'automatically get track names' in my itunes preferences, does it get the song track as the cd is ripping, or afterwards? I have it set to do it automatically, but it doesn't seem to be doing it automatically. I'm used to Windows XP and putting in a cd, having the track names come up automatically, and then having it start to rip. I'm now having to click on 'advanced' and 'get cd track names' and also having to go back and click 'get album artwork'. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It should do it when you put the CD in, just like you're used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
There's a program that automatically loads up the album art covers on the itunes. Here you go. Never tried it myself. I prefer to get it from amazon by manually dragging it as well. http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14971

I have a widget that does all that for me. It searches amazon sites (you can select the store manually) - and if it comes up with a cover, you can simply click a button and it will apply it to all the songs in that album. Pretty nifty. The widget is called Amazon Art. It's helped me out many times, and it's stable and reliable. No messing around with preferences or switching apps- it's all done directly through the widget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I should put a caveat in here that in some cases, the entries in the internet database that populates iTunes' track listings are incorrect.

For mainstream stuff they should be okay, but I've had boxed sets (the Beach Boys' Good Vibrations set is one example) where the track listing that iTunes pulled was one track off from the actual CDs. I imagine this is due to either an entry error (anyone can submit track names to the database) or the fact that different editions of CDs get issued over the years.

It's something that seldom happens, but it's something worth watching for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.