Cherry os?!

V

vuschejan

rman said:
One small correction the GUI was not stolen from Xerox. Xerox did not take it far enough, they actually let Steve and company have it.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Now, Another one, I dont believe fortran was written by gates and inc.(Whatever company stated above was) I cant exactly remember who wrote it....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
They may have used Fortran and COBOL and the likes, but they did not create those compilers.

M

meltbanana314

rman said:
They may have used Fortran and COBOL and the likes, but they did not create those compilers.

Did they write FORTRAN, COBOL, and BASIC compilers specifically for the Altair? Yes.

Did they invent the languages themselves? Heck no.

FORTRAN and COBOL came around in the late 50s, and BASIC in the mid-60s. Way before Microsoft's time.

I may not know much about those programming languages, but at least I know that Microsoft didn't have a hand in inventing them.

M

meltbanana314

vuschejan said:
Took the words right out of my mouth. Now, Another one, I dont believe fortran was written by gates and inc.(Whatever company stated above was) I cant exactly remember who wrote it....

FORTRAN was the first (and oldest) real high level programming language, invented by Jim Backus and horde of others from IBM, still used today for scientific and mathematical calculations. I_KNOW_MICROSOFT_DIDN'T_INVENT_IT. Hundreds of companies have written compilers for it though, including Microsoft.

V

vuschejan

meltbanana314 said:
FORTRAN was the first (and oldest) real high level programming language, invented by Jim Backus and horde of others from IBM, still used today for scientific and mathematical calculations. I_KNOW_MICROSOFT_DIDN'T_INVENT_IT. Hundreds of companies have written compilers for it though, including Microsoft.

Just because I like history.

FORTRAN - FORmula TRANslation Created by Jim Backus(As Melt said)
COBOL - COmmon Buissness Oriented Language Grace Hopper
Bonus points if you can do the first lady programmer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Smackintosh said:
since we are somewhat on the subject. anyone think there is ever any bit of a chance of os X being ported over to x86? Im thinking probably no but someone will come out with as close of a clone as possible without getting in to much trouble.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever apple would not do that they do not make enough money on there OS all there money comes from hardware. if apple did this it would be like shooting your self in the foot and then bleeding to death. that would b the DEATH of apple. NEVER GUNA HAPPEN!

M

meltbanana314

benjamindaines said:
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever apple would not do that they do not make enough money on there OS all there money comes from hardware. if apple did this it would be like shooting your self in the foot and then bleeding to death. that would b the DEATH of apple. NEVER GUNA HAPPEN!

Wow, this canyon must be really big. 16 days from post to echo.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
vuschejan said:
Bonus points if you can do the first lady programmer.

Nephertiti? Helen of Troy? .. no,wait ... Cleopatra? .. umm .. Oh I remember now, Linda Lovelace, she programmed Deep Thought in THHGTTG. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
rman said:
One small correction the GUI was not stolen from Xerox. Xerox did not take it far enough, they actually let Steve and company have it.

.... from fear that their creation would not see the light of day since Xerox execs already gave it the thumbs down.

G

Garrett

I always thought Gates sold Basic to IBM, then started on qBasic, got ahold of a Mac, and ripped the code right from a Mac to create Windows 1.0? Remember guys, in the late 80s Mac had market dominance, they just didn't capitalize on it.

--Garrett

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.