• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A random Question Poll

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok guys and gals, here is a completely random "relationship" poll.

Lets say you have a friend of the opposite gender (or same if that trips your trigger). You've know this friend for 3 or 4 months at the most. This friend has just broken up with their "significant other". This friend invites you come see them over the holidays but they live 250+ miles (3 hours drive) away. You decide to go.

Select your answer as to why you go from the above poll options.

You may choose more than 1 answer.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
in it's purest sense - assuming i'm making the trip, as a male, and she's a female who's just been made single - i'm only making a 250 mile trip during the holidays because i'm thinking something more may come out of it. i might do it for the 'booty' but more likley for something more for that effort.

the tricky part comes in your vagueness. the most important, i think is if it is a man or a woman making the trip? i might answer differently based upon that detail, among others.

btw, i only chose #2 (and keep in mind, i'm almost 40 and happily married ;P)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
well, now I know what a bootycall is :Smirk:

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in it's purest sense - assuming i'm making the trip, as a male, and she's a female who's just been made single - i'm only making a 250 mile trip during the holidays because i'm thinking something more may come out of it. i might do it for the 'booty' but more likley for something more for that effort.

the tricky part comes in your vagueness. the most important, i think is if it is a man or a woman making the trip? i might answer differently based upon that detail, among others.

btw, i only chose #2 (and keep in mind, i'm almost 40 and happily married ;P)

The question is purposely vague to get a better cross section of answers.

Please explain how you would answer differently if the person traveling were:

A) Male

or

B) Female

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I voted for #2 too.... although under the right circumstances I'd go for #3...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if a woman travels that far in that circumstance, i would assume a smaller chance of a simple "bootycall", and again, depending on variables. but overall, i think the bootycall drive is more likely to happen if it is a man driving to a woman - really almost regardless of the distance. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eh, I think they enjoy knocking boots as much as we do ;)

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if a woman travels that far in that circumstance, i would assume a smaller chance of a simple "bootycall", and again, depending on variables. but overall, i think the bootycall drive is more likely to happen if it is a man driving to a woman - really almost regardless of the distance. ;)

Based on that answer, I will provide some assumptions:

Assume that the person making the trip is a female, younger, single - recently out of a relationship of about 1 year. Assume also that this person is short on money for gas, although gas is cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whats that old bumper sticker?

cash, grass or.... :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My opinion: You wouldn't have been invited if there wasn't interest from the other party in developing more than a friendship. This is a test to see if that affinity is shared.

Women, in my opinion, almost always have an ulterior motive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
If she wasnt into you she could maintain a friendly relationship over the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I had to choose "Other" for the simple fact that I wouldn't make the trip at all.

If the person lives that far away, the chances of me really knowing them all that well are slim.
Sure, an visit would offer an opportunity for me to get to know that person better, but what happens when the visit is over?
I go back home and the person is still hundreds of miles away.

In my opinion, people that invite others to make that trip... or make that trip themselves... are more often than not desperate for attention and affection. It is extremely flattering to find out that someone is so smitten with you that they would invite you to make such a journey. It is so flattering that you would be seriously tempted to make the trek.
However, making a trip like that is simply a bad idea.
Even if things go well and the two people decide to start an LDR, the chances of that relationship lasting for any real length of time is dodgy at best. Sure, there is always the 'option' for one of you to move closer to the other, but again... the likelihood of that happening is rare.
I'm not saying that it can't happen or that it hasn't happened for some... it's just that the viability of such a thing transpiring is next to nil.

If I was a parent and the person contemplating on making the trip was my child (who lived under my roof), then I wouldn't allow them to make the trip period. My house, my rules. I'm the parent and they're the child. I wouldn't care how old they were. If they're old enough to make decisions like that, then they are old enough to move out and get their own place... and if they were short on gas money, then that would be even more of a reason for me to forbid such a thing. It just doesn't make any good sense to make a trip like that when:
1. You haven't known the person for very long
2. You likely won't have the chance to visit them often
3. You're short on funds to make a drive that far anyway

Hey, it's a big world out there.
If you can find someone you find interesting and/or interested in you... and the person lives that far away, then you can definitely find someone just as interested in you who lives closer, even in your own city, town, state, etc. All you have to do is be patient.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had to choose "Other" for the simple fact that I wouldn't make the trip at all.

If the person lives that far away, the chances of me really knowing them all that well are slim.
Sure, an visit would offer an opportunity for me to get to know that person better, but what happens when the visit is over?

In my opinion, people that invite others to make that trip... or make that trip themselves... are more often than not desperate for attention and affection. It is extremely flattering to find out that someone is so smitten with you that they would invite you to make such a journey. It is so flattering that you would be seriously tempted to make the trek.
Even if things go well and the two people decide to start an LDR, the chances of that relationship lasting for any real length of time is dodgy at best. Sure, there is always the 'option' for one of you to move closer to the other, but again... the likelihood of that happening is rare.
I'm not saying that it can't happen or that it hasn't happened for some... it's just that the viability of such a thing transpiring is next to nil.

If I was a parent and the person contemplating on making the trip was my child (who lived under my roof), then I wouldn't allow them to make the trip period. My house, my rules. I'm the parent and they're the child. I wouldn't care how old they were. If they're old enough to make decisions like that, then they are old enough to move out and get their own place... and if they were short on gas money, then that would be even more of a reason for me to forbid such a thing. It just doesn't make any good sense to make a trip like that when:

If you can find someone you find interesting and/or interested in you... and the person lives that far away, then you can definitely find someone just as interested in you who lives closer, even in your own city, town, state, etc. All you have to do is be patient.

Speaking as a parent, you have pretty much summed up my opinion completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Oh Baggss.

*sigh*

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh Baggss.

*sigh*

I know. Some decisions are not yours to make so all you can do is stand by and watch. You can also ask the opinions of complete strangers to see what they say. It appears that many do not agree with what either you or I thought.

I posted this in both forums to get a better cross section of responses. The gap between #2 and #3 is narrower in the other forum than it is here, although there were only 7 or 8 votes there last time I checked. Interesting.

Your turn will come someday Derek, sooner than you think.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those of you who picked options 2 and 3 picked correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200

I assumed he knew this woman fairly well. So in my opinion, yes, this would factor into the decision.

IIn my opinion, people that invite others to make that trip... or make that trip themselves... are more often than not desperate for attention and affection. It is extremely flattering to find out that someone is so smitten with you that they would invite you to make such a journey. It is so flattering that you would be seriously tempted to make the trek.
I would have to agree entirely.

IIf I was a parent and the person contemplating on making the trip was my child (who lived under my roof), then I wouldn't allow them to make the trip period. My house, my rules. I'm the parent and they're the child. I wouldn't care how old they were. If they're old enough to make decisions like that, then they are old enough to move out and get their own place... and if they were short on gas money, then that would be even more of a reason for me to forbid such a thing. It just doesn't make any good sense to make a trip like that when:

As for the big world out there - I agree with this. However, I have always been one to allow my children to discover, learn and make their own decisions - especially as they matured. Mind you, the older they got, the more I allowed them to take risks. Of course I never allowed them to get into something I knew would hurt them. I should add, my son and daughter are better today for having this experience.

If she wasnt into you she could maintain a friendly relationship over the phone.
Agreed.

My opinion: You wouldn't have been invited if there wasn't interest from the other party in developing more than a friendship. This is a test to see if that affinity is shared.

Women, in my opinion, almost always have an ulterior motive.
Exactly.

well, now I know what a bootycall is :Smirk:
See, you've learned something new here today.

eh, I think they enjoy knocking boots as much as we do ;)
Yes they do.

Those of you who picked options 2 and 3 picked correctly.
So it would seem you knew the answer to this yet asked for our thoughts? Well I cannot answer the woman's point of view, however I can say had this been something you were not sure of - I would have demanded you post a picture.

So as I see it now, we're waiting for a actual woman's opinion?

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please keep in mind this was not me. It was a female I know going to visit a guy, hence my request for opinions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.