Slot-load dvd unit and usb

Reaction score
Well, i have an internal dvd unit, is a SuperDrive that came with my old ibook, is there any way that i can make this unit to an usb bus? are there cases for this kind of units? btw, i have the logic board of the ibook, in case that some piece of that could be usefull

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A USB DVD will not boot the iBook as PowerPC machines require the speed of Firewire to be bootable. Some iBooks do have Firewire 400, some don't and you have not supplied model details.

The internal Superdrive is IDE and not USB.

OP
F
Reaction score
Sorry, i didn't expressed my self right, i don't want to use the optical unit with my ibook, i want to use the unit with another computer, what i was wondering if it is possible to buy a case for that unit or maybe an adapter, something diy would be awesome. btw, the unit is not the regular IDE from the notebooks HD, it's kinda weird, i will try to upload a photo later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You can buy USB2, Firewire and eSATA external cases for the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A cheaper option than an external enclosure is a USB2 adaptor kit, about US$18. They come in two forms, ATA-USB, and/or ATA/SATA-USB2. They work brilliantly for what they cost, I'm forever hooking in old drives, both hard and optical, to my eMac or iMacs. Unfortunately I know of no similar ATA/SATA-firewire adaptor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.