Software Updater does nothing!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium (al-oo-min-e-um) 2.4ghz, 250gb, 2gb DDR3 MB
Upon checking for updates, which it finds quite happily, 8 items or so, it then asks me to reboot. So i reboot, and the box comes up saying 'Configuring Installation' during the boot up screen, and that's it!!

It sits at the same position on the progression bar and doesn't move.

Anyone had something similar and/or how to fix?

BTW if it makes any difference Mac is aluminium 2.4ghz currently runnin OS X 10.5.5

thanks, Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.0ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD + 1TB External HD
I kinda have the same problem. 8 items too. then the bar didn't move for about 2 hours so I rebooted. then it took a while on the grey screen then it rebooted by itself. Then after that I checked up on the software updates in system preferences , there were four items (quicktime, safari, digi cam raw compatibility, mac OS update 10.5.6) all installed 12/30/08 5:43PM, I rebooted my laptop at around 7PM. I'm a first timer mac user, and I'm really in a panic mode!

What is the best thing to do with this kind of problem? Please help.

Reaction score
Hmm, me too. Took ages for my MacMini to check for updates then stuck on the reboot. There doesn't appear to be any other problem... so far!
Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Two Automatic restarts which take 5-10 minutes after a point update is normal, be patient and don't force a restart. If you still have problems with OSX 10.5.6. Download the Combo updater from Apple and install that over the top of the Software Update one.

Apple - Support - Downloads

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.