• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Blu-ray burning.

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro. Final Cut Express. Toast 9. I'm interested in hearing from those who are now successfully burning blu-ray discs using an external burner. What hardware/software/plugins/discs (inkjet printable?) are you using? Satisfied? Thanks.

Reaction score
Blu-ray burning

Bumping as I am interested as well...I have been recording home movies on a sony HDR-UX5 and would like the extra space to not only burn high-def but also add digital copies lots of photos, menu options other features you just can't add on a limited space

Reaction score
As a disclaimer, I am a newbie to video editing. I bought a Sony SR11 about 3 months ago have just started reading/playing around with this, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

From what I understand, importing to iMovie converts the AVCHD to Apple's own format and increases the file size. Instead, I was able to copy the .mts file directly from the camcorder's hard drive (linked to the iMac via USB) into Toast (after the $20 blu-ray upgrade). Then I burned a blu-ray formatted disc on a regular DVD-R in my iMac's superdrive. This will not play on a regular dvd player (since it is blu-ray formatted and high def), but it does play on my PS3 and Panasonic BD-30 without problems. I can't notice any difference compared to hooking the camera directly.

I just got a blu-ray burner and haven't tried that yet, but it should work as well.

Note: This is just raw footage from the camera without editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.