Boot Camp Issue

Reaction score
This has been mentioned in many forums, but I have nto yet foudn a difinitive solution.

XP installed on my MBP, working great until a few days ago. Now when I attempt to start up XP Pro SP2, all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor. XP will never start, no splash screen nothing. I can boot into OSX without an issue.

The latest thing I read is that it may be an issue with a failed install of XPSP3. Suggested solution was to tap the F8 key to boot into safe mode and restore to a point in time prior to the SP3 install. Ten uppdate Boot Camp and it should be good. I did have a failed attempt of SP3 due to the older version of Boot Camp, but have not tried this fix.

Has anyone here experienced this? My stuff is backed up, so i am not a t a total loss, but it is just a big pain in the rear to have to reinstall everything, especially since many folsk indicate they are having the same issue even after a full HD wipe and reinstall

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot to the Windows XP SP2 partition with your original XP SP2 disk and do a repair. What has happened is the XP boot sector has somehow been overwritten or damaged. You've got to restore it.

But - be very careful you do not overwrite or damage your OS X partition! Choose the correct partition to repair! Before doing anything, make a backup using Time Machine or another good backup program - of your OS X partition.

This web site has instructions on how to repair XP:

Repair XP

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.