Please Help New User With Macbook Problem

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum, but my Mac has went down and I would like some answers. I have a 13" white Macbook, and about two days ago it just shut down as I was using it. When trying to restart, a flashing folder with a question mark inside flashes and nothing proceeds from there. I tried putting in my restart disc and that didn't do anything. I believe that it is my hard drive, and if not, please let me know. But if it is the HD, where is the best place to get one that is cheap, but still a decent quality HD? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well it kind of sounds like your HD, but the restore disc issue bothers me. did you insert the disk and then restart with the "c" key held down?

if you did, and you're still having issues, it may be a bigger issue than your hard drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
oh sorry, forgot to add. when i put the restore disc in, it worked, but it had nowhere to save the OS at. so that also leads me to believe its the HD.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh, well, then yeah - likley a HD issue ;)

OP
J
Reaction score
k, thanks. where is the best place to get a replacement? And i understand they're easy to replace yourself, true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 1GB 667 MHz RAM, 2.16 Intel core duo 2, 120GB Hard Drive. Iphone 3G.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 1GB 667 MHz RAM, 2.16 Intel core duo 2, 120GB Hard Drive. Iphone 3G.
I know that its the correct size, all Macbooks support 2.5" hard drives.

I'm not sure about the RPM. The macbook ships with a 5400RPM Hard Drive, so maybe go with the 5400RPM and 8MB cache model.

320GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 5K320 5400RPM SA... (0A56417) at OWC

Thats what I think would be best, unless somebody wants to say otherwise.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok, i just ordered the one you said Sam, hopefully that is what is actually wrong with my computer. I took my old HD out and put it back in and still same thing, so i'm thinking it is definitely shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I'm not sure about the RPM. The macbook ships with a 5400RPM Hard Drive, so maybe go with the 5400RPM and 8MB cache model.

320GB 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 5K320 5400RPM SA... (0A56417) at OWC

Thats what I think would be best, unless somebody wants to say otherwise.

It may be a moot point now because the original poster has made a purchase, but I'll chime in nonetheless.

I have a 7200 RPM drive in my white MacBook and it works fine. In fact, I think it's made the computer perform better on the whole. Booting certainly takes less time and opening up certain apps is much faster.

The only downside I can see is a possible decrease in battery life. However, I think the performance tradeoff is worth the loss.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, what brand is the old hard drive that is in your macbook?

OP
J
Reaction score
i just received the new HD and i have a few questions. 1 how do i format it so i can install the OS discs because there still is nowhere to save them. Also, i have a disc in there that I need to get out, but I cannot figure out a way to get the disc out. Is there any way to make the disc get out? because right now, my computer wont work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.