What is this strange thing happening?

Reaction score
White MacBook iMac G3 Dell inspiron laptop Dell inspiron
Hi,
When I use my MacBook for sometimes (only happened 2 times in 7 month) running sibelius 5 and logic pro 8 at the same time, it freezes and then it says that I should hold down the off button for a number of seconds.

I have 4 GB of memory, 120 GB hard drive (Only 71GB left) and I'm running on MAC OSX 10.5.2 and a speed of 2.4 GHz.

Could it be that I need wipe the computer and install everything again?

I will wipe the computer anyway and tell you then what's happening.
Thankyou,
John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That is what's called a kernal panic, even OS X crashes sometimes.

2 times in 7 months is nothing to stress about, I don't think a rebuild will necessarily cure that but its up to you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Could it be that I need wipe the computer and install everything again?

That's a Windows mentality. UNIX-based Operating Systems don't suffer from the same Windows rot, and so don't often have to be reinstalled.

In my experience, Kernel panics are few and far between (I've never had one on my current machine, and only one on my first Mac). I would recommend doing an Apple Hardware Test, just to ensure that everything is OK from a hardware standpoint.

Have you recently made any major changes (upgraded memory, installed any new software, etc)?

OP
MacintoshMaster
Reaction score
That's a Windows mentality. UNIX-based Operating Systems don't suffer from the same Windows rot, and so don't often have to be reinstalled.

In my experience, Kernel panics are few and far between (I've never had one on my current machine, and only one on my first Mac). I would recommend doing an Apple Hardware Test, just to ensure that everything is OK from a hardware standpoint.

Have you recently made any major changes (upgraded memory, installed any new software, etc)?

Yes, when I got the computer (7 Months ago) I had some memory put in by PCworld.co.uk
When I got my computer it only had 2 GB memory.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, when I got the computer (7 Months ago) I had some memory put in by PCworld.co.uk
When I got my computer it only had 2 GB memory.

I would pull the memory and put in the original memory. If they used cheap, generic memory, it could certainly cause very difficult to pin down reliability issues.

OP
MacintoshMaster
Reaction score
I would pull the memory and put in the original memory. If they used cheap, generic memory, it could certainly cause very difficult to pin down reliability issues.

No I think that it is good memory.
It was PNY.
I and wipeing the computer now so I'll let you know.
Thanks for your help,
John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.