• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

is it a fraud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5Gz
Recently i've got my MacBook Pro from a guy who lives in America. (I live in Europe) I've sent him 2500$ for

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version: 1.27f1
Serial Number: W88360C1YK0

what bothers me is that i waited more than a month for him to respond and send it hearing many excuses

Is it possible that i've got a refurbished computer and how can i find that out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
did you get it yet?

OP
iivanyu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5Gz
yes, and is working fine, with all cd;s and updates are running smooth.
altho there is slight irregularity when i close the lid, it doesn't fit precise, there is about 1-1.5 mm difference between left and right side.
And i didn't get my original invoice from Apple store
Is there any way checking status of my machine on line and finding out w hat exact model it is.?
many thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't need to go online. Click on that little Apple in the top left corner. Go to About This Mac. In the pop up window select More Info. It'll tell you anything you want to know about it.

That does appear to be a last generation notebook rather than the new one. The current models have a 2.53Ghz CPU and 1066 MHz front side bus.

OP
iivanyu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5Gz
right, but can i find out is it bought refurbished or genuine new

Reaction score
Register it and find out how much warranty is left. Really there is no difference if you cannot see a difference. I have a "new" 4,1 and my wife has a refurbished one. There is no difference.

As for the difference in the lid, I have the same thing and I believe my wife's as well. It is an EXTREMELY minor issue as I personally prefer the previous Gen because of the Matte screen, the 2 fire wire ports (400 & 800), and the regular DVI out as opposed to the new display port.

The only thing would be to get Apple Care and then you should be set for 3 years. When my wife's had an issue with the sensor detecting light for thel it keyboard they fixed it at no charge, and it was back in her hands within a week. Granted I live in Erfurt, Germany, and my Apple Store is the main service hub for all of Thuringia (the Province if you will), so perhaps we got exceptional service.

It seems if he took so long that perhaps he did order it new. Really, if it came with all accessories, only has the uneven lid which most if not all have, and you have the normal warranty (you should get Apple Care though to be safe) then I would say keep it and move on.

edit: your warranty is good through September 3, 2009. I would get that extended ASAP to be safe. You can find legitimate Apple Dealers on eBay and get Apple Care for $200, which is a small price to pay for 3 years of warranty for peace of mind.

OP
iivanyu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5Gz
thank you so much on this reply,but thing is i didn't get original invoice just commercial one from DHL(photocopy) and i have a privilege to live in all-forsaken Serbia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Register it and find out how much warranty is left. Really there is no difference if you cannot see a difference.

There's a difference if he thought he was paying for a new product and got a refurb, while the person who bought it pocketed the difference. I would definitely want to know whether or not I got what I paid for.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Take out the battery and look near the memory cover. If it's a refurb, it should be labeled as such in that area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
yes, and is working fine, with all cd;s and updates are running smooth.
altho there is slight irregularity when i close the lid, it doesn't fit precise, there is about 1-1.5 mm difference between left and right side.
And i didn't get my original invoice from Apple store
Is there any way checking status of my machine on line and finding out w hat exact model it is.?
many thanks

Yes, that happened with my MacBook Pro like a couple of weeks ago. It didn't even want to eject my CD. So what I did is used force to bring it back together and I also cut the lids (or whatever they are called) that wipe the CD when you are inserting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iSight, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD.
When you say there is an issue when you close the lid, I presume you mean when you flip the screen down? Seems to be a little confusion...

Anyway, regarding FRAUD - did the guy in the USA say that the machine was new? If he is not an authorised Mac dealer then surely the machine could only be classed as good as new? How did you pay, cash, credit card, pay-pal?

Have you had any further problems with the Mac?

Also, do you mind if I ask why you did not by from Apple directly?

OP
iivanyu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5Gz
Ha, I'm so glad you asked that last question. But first to say i've payed by sending the money(threw the bank) to a guy who happens to live in America. I know I could have bought it somevere in EU but they were cheaper about 150$ than my resellers at home(which is in Serbia). To make it clear, every Apple item here is 100-150% times more expensive than in USA, that stands for Serbia. And at any store in Europe situation is not so drastic but heavy enough. So instead paying 3500$ or so here i thought it would be good idea to pass with 2500$.
So my nightmare begins. In september money was sent and i have waited for the gentleman in question for more than a month to obtain it and post it by DHL (he asked and got 250$) there is a photocopy of DHL invoice on 168$. After four days it arrived in Belgrade Serbia and was in customs for ten days. Any way in spite all i've saved about 6 or 700 $. I never got original receipt!!
No further problems with the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iSight, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD.
Never been to Serbia but visited Yugoslavia before the troubles, a very beautiful part of Europe.

Hopefully the Mac will be fine and you will have no troubles but it may be worth contacting Apple Support and asking if they can give you any information.

Good luck my fellow European Mac user!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well if Macs go for such a premium there, maybe you could sell the one you got to recoup your costs and then try making another arrangement. Maybe find someone a little more trustworthy, like someone with a good rep on Ebay or something.

OP
iivanyu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5Gz
yes ,thought about that, especially when i saw new ones(late 2008).
What to do, can't help it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.