Do warranties transfer to new owner?

Reaction score
Does the warranty on an iMac transfer to the new owner if you sell it?

Do you need the original receipt for warranty work, or do they just need the serial number?

Also, if it does transfer, can a person buy Applecare to extend the warranty even if he's not the original owner?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I don't know about iMacs, but i bought a used ipod touch from Ebay and put Applecare on it, no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A serial number will give apple the date it was sold, so that should be enough, a receipt would be better

It is the product that is under warranty, so yes it does transfer (at least in US and UK law)

OP
Z
Reaction score
2. Warranty information about your product
Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on November 07, 2009.

Your product is eligible for complimentary phone support which is estimated to expire on February 06, 2009.

If you believe that this information is inaccurate, learn how to update your coverage status. Please put your sales receipt in a safe place. You will need it for warranty validation.

Extend your service and support coverage for your product with the AppleCare Protection Plan. If you have already purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan, make sure you have registered it.

It sounds like you must have the sales receipt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.