• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

M4V Wont play on Archos - How to convert?

Reaction score
Hey, I downloaded a film via iTunes. It came downloaded in .m4v format.

I transferred this over to my Archos, to watch it on T.V - but the file didn't play. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how I can convert the file to a playable format.

Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sorry, i don't. i just had to pop in and say i loved the username :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
used to use a version of it for a password years back, that and a version of nadir. nepenthe just has such a great definition, it's not about becoming positive, it's about obliterating sorrow or the memory of it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Cheers. I'm fully aware of what it means, though ;)

Its actually my "rap alias". Has a nice ring to it. Anyway, back to the matter in hand.....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was pretty sure you knew ;) mainly for the benefit of any others stumbling in here.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While I am not sure whether the Archos can play m4v files or not, this is not the real issue. It's real issue is the DRM on every iTunes music, movie, or TV file (except the few iTunes Plus songs) you download from them.

No different than MS's 'Plays for Sure' DRM or the new DRM they're using for the Zune.

You want to play a file without cracking the DRM, you'll need a Mac, an iPod or an iPhone to play them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.