Change all files owned by one user to a different user?

Reaction score
Hi, quick question which I assume has a simple answer for someone more techy than I am:

How do I change the ownership of ALL files owned by one user so that they are owned by a different user?

Through a convoluted series of events, I ended up with two users: graeyoheactual is the one I want to keep, and graeyohe is an old user that I don't need at all. But a bunch of my old files are owned by graeyohe and when I'm graeyoheactual and try to use them, they're read-only for me because I fall under the category of "everyone."

Thanks!

Reaction score
In your graeyohe account transfer the files that you want to the shared folder /Users/Shared. Go to your graeyoheactual account and navigate to this folder again, and they should be there for you to put on this account. Good luck.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I tried that and it didn't work. It won't let me move/copy those files once I'm in the graeyoheactual account because I'm not the files' owner.

Isn't there a terminal command to change all files owned by graeyohe so that they're owned by graeyoheactual?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you need to login to the graeyohe account and move the files to Users > Shared > Subfolder. Then select the Users > Shared > Subfolder and right click to get info

You can give read write access to everybody if you have an admin account, login as graeyoheactual, go to Users > Shared > Subfolder and move your files to where you want them

OP
G
Reaction score
you need to login to the graeyohe account and move the files to Users > Shared > Subfolder. Then select the Users > Shared > Subfolder and right click to get info

You can give read write access to everybody if you have an admin account, login as graeyoheactual, go to Users > Shared > Subfolder and move your files to where you want them

Wow, crazy... I've always used the Get Info dialogue but never knew you could apply to enclosed items. My dialogues look different than that, but I found the option.

Didn't even need to move the files at all because I already had them in the home directory. Just selected the folder and applied universal permissions.

Thanks a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.