New MBP or... wait?

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question to see what anyone has to say about this...

I have a MBP purchased in July of 2007, 15", 2 gigs of ram, 2.4 GHz I believe... and I have been getting the 4SNS/1/40000000:TGOD problem.... sometimes my computer freezes (I am assuming becaue it is getting too hot) and sometimes it refuses to start back up when i restart it... it's really annoying, but if I give it some time it comes back eventually... at any rate, I think it's a new motherboard that is required... which I am led to believe will be at least 1200... and I don't have applecare (YIKES, I know, I know... I'm an idiot!)

I use my mac for school (architecture) and heavily rely on it for everyday use.. so far I have been just trying to get by with the inconvenience, but I am wondering if it would be smart to drop $2500 on a new Macbook Pro, with warrentee... or should I just bite the bullet and fix this one? Seems like I mi9ght as well buy a new one and get it covered for 3 years...

Also... is it worth it to wait until the summer (student deals) or fall (possible update of the hardware? hmm.. I am just having a hard time deciding what I should do.... I have the money and could afford a new one now (though the bugdet would be strained) ... also... is there any option for selling a MBP that just needs a new motherboard?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Your computer isn't that old; I'd recommend fixing it since it's less than half the cost of a new one, and then BUY Applecare so you're covered for 3 years, and can then get the most out of your initial money spent. If you buy a new laptop, you'll gain a slight increase in performance, but it is unlikely that it will be worth the expense (twice as much money as fixing your current one, but will it allow you to be twice as productive?)

Make an appointment at the Apple Store's Genius Bar, if you can. It costs nothing, and they'll tell you for sure what is wrong with your current computer if you don't already know. It may not be as expensive as you think to fix it.

Good luck!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
S
Reaction score
that said isn't it a better idea to hold out and buy a new computer soon so i can get three years of coverage instead of... none...? or am I off base on that?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You don't get three years of coverage just for buying a new machine. You have to buy that separately. Must be bought within a year of buying the machine as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
understood, but at least I will have the option... at this point with my old machine I have no option to extend warranty, correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.