Well the New Powerbooks are out

T

titan0111

FYI if you are planning to buy a new PowerBook and you are a student,

get ADC Student. It's only $99USD, and you get extra $200~300 off...

Reaction score
titan0111 said:
FYI if you are planning to buy a new PowerBook and you are a student,

get ADC Student. It's only $99USD, and you get extra $200~300 off...

What is ADC?

I'm a student and I've been shopping around for a MAC these past few weeks, been going imac, mac mini and a PB.

Now I see the drop in price I'm thinking about getting the 17inch. My primarly focus will be using Final Cut Pro HD.

Looks like I can get it for 2200 bucks with the 128 MB Video card upgrade, does Final Cut Pro utilize the video card memory much? I decided not to get the DVD Burner as I already have one on my PC, so can shave off a few bucks there :closed:

T

titan0111

Xarthan said:
What is ADC?

I'm a student and I've been shopping around for a MAC these past few weeks, been going imac, mac mini and a PB.

Now I see the drop in price I'm thinking about getting the 17inch. My primarly focus will be using Final Cut Pro HD.

Looks like I can get it for 2200 bucks with the 128 MB Video card upgrade, does Final Cut Pro utilize the video card memory much? I decided not to get the DVD Burner as I already have one on my PC, so can shave off a few bucks there :closed:

• 1.67GHz PowerPC G4
• 17-inch TFT Display
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
• 100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128MB DDR)

With these specs, it's $2,399.00 with edu. discount,

but it's $2,159.00 with ADC discount plus $99 for ACD.

http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

T

titan0111

Xarthan said:
...getting the "17" inch...Looks like I can get it for 2200 bucks with the 128 MB Video card upgrade...

:closed:

Were you looking at out-dated(???) 1.5GHz 17" or new 1.67GHz 15" ?

I

IChing

I think you ought to look at the 15 then you might be able to get the superdrive and the memory. The 15, sits on the lap(ie sofa) a little better, on airplanes, and in my briefcase (which I already had no laptop, fit great no additional buy)
I love the 17 but the 15 is no slouch in screen size, try them out in the store, pick them up etc. , for what you are willing to spend you could get quite a system with the 15.

Reaction score
titan0111 said:
Were you looking at out-dated(???) 1.5GHz 17" or new 1.67GHz 15" ?

1.67GHz, well the price difference between the 15 and 17 were like 200 bucks with the same components. I already have a Dell Inspiron 700m for travel.

J

jbsengineer

Just out of curiousity. i dont program. But what would a member of the ADC do for me? :)

Anybody a member?

Josh

M

meltbanana314

jbsengineer said:
Just out of curiousity. i dont program. But what would a member of the ADC do for me? :)

Anybody a member?

Josh

I wish I was. Pre-release versions, hardware savings - but it costs like $500/year or something like that.

I

IChing

Xarthan said:
1.67GHz, well the price difference between the 15 and 17 were like 200 bucks with the same components. I already have a Dell Inspiron 700m for travel.

For the extra $300 bucks and the notebook you have for travel, go for the 17, better display and a bigger hard drive which is important for what you want to do, but the $300 could buy you a one gig stick of memory. Yeah go for the 17.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I couldnt use the 17, because it was basically a desktop computer that you tried to lay on your lap.. it was just too big. Using it on the plane when I travel would be a no go, just too big! Everyone that I know that has one, finally stops using it and uses their 15" powerbook, or their desktop.. it's just not portable... You might really like the Mac and want to always use it.. so the Dell Inspiron will not help you out there...

S

SamR

The 15" really fits perfectly in your lap. I couldn't imagine being on a plane with a 17", I'm nervous enough about my 15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Mixed Feelings

bigchuckdiesel said:
No dual g4, or g5 chip just a speed bump. they added a few things thou. like , bluetooth 2.0, the Sudden Motion Sensor instantly parks the hard drive heads,and new trackpad with scrolling capability, check it out
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

I was initially very excited about the new powerbooks and wanted to upgrade but then I looked up the new specs and found them rather disappointing.

The upgrades are only marginal with a slightly faster processor, faster drives, the scrolling trackpad and sudden motion sensor. What really upset me was Apple's decision to keep lowered specs on the 12" video card, processor and memory. Upgrading standard memory to 512 by including another throw-away 256 module is a useless waste. I am however really pleased to see a lower pricetag, a scrolling trackpad and the inclusion of a backlit keyboard on the lowend 15".

Steve, please ditch the nVidia video card and make the 12" specs the same as the bigger powerbooks!!!! :mad:

Edit: Oh yeah, iLife 05 is a cool upgrade too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.