When will Quad-Core be standard in Macs?

Reaction score
In the near future (end of 2009), the average user will need more multitasking power from their computer than in previous years. I feel that in 2009 Quad-Core processors will become standard in Macs or at least be an option for Macbooks/Pros/iMacs. Macbooks are getting to the point where they will be able to run a lot more applications/processes but the processor is still Core 2 Duo.

A Core 2 Quad processor would be great for laptops and Apple will probably be the first to bring a Core 2 Quad processor to a consumer notebook. Since October Apple has been using DDR3 RAM and a 1066 Mhz front-side bus in the Macbooks which is miles ahead of the competitors. This makes me believe that the Macbook/Macbook Pro will have a Quad Core processor in it by next November. The i7 may not be coming to notebooks anytime soon since I heard that it generates too much heat. Does anyone know when we'll probably see Quad-Core processors in the Mac line?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I read somewhere they are working on different ways of cooling the CPU. Not sure about the DDR3 ram thing being miles of head of other notebooks though. There are Notebooks that use DDR3 and have a better video card than the current Unibody MB/P. They are just a lot heavier and obviously cost a lot more money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.