Lost Restore Disc

Reaction score
I moved recently and now I can't find my restore disc or manuals for my iMac. Does anyone know if Apple offers replacement discs? I am in a situation now where a bad security update install has left my iMac crippled. It won't start up... I need to start up from the restore disc and obviously, now I can't. Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
If you've no hope of recovering your lost disks, you could (I suggest) claim insurance cover for them. That at least would partly, maybe totally, cover the cost of buying a retail version of whatever OS (??) is on your iMac.

Replacement disks from Apple? Possibly, but the Restore disks are machine or model-specific, and you don't say what model of iMac you have.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, you can order replacement discs. They are a service part, like any other. You'll need to contact Apple Tech Support and see if they can help you. As I understand it, they run around $40 (US).

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks so much... I think I'll continue searching through my boxes and see if I can find it. If not, I already contacted Tech Support regarding a new disc. I don't think I've lost any files yet and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.