Connecting to a Blu-ray disk

Reaction score
I got a Panasonic BD-35 Blu-ray for Christmas. My TV is on the first floor, my D-link router is in the basement. Before we want Mac, I paid someone to fish an Ethernet cable in the walls of our condo to the 3rd floor. Even though I have wireless turned on in my d-link router, my wife's lap top won't see it unless I bring it to the basement.

I did get an AirPort Express and set it up with WPA to connect to the Wii we got for Christmas (grandchildren will love this). Right now my LinkSys has two iMacs, a printer, and the AirPort Express plugged into its 4 out ports.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to connect to my Blu-ray drive. Options that I suspect I may have to choose between include:

1. Buy a switch to get another Ethernet output from my router, buy some more Ethernet cable, and try to find a way to get it to the 1st floor.

2. Buy a remote receiver that turns wireless to Ethernet cable. I'd have to find out whether I can program it to use the WPA account.

Some other choice that I haven't thought of.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
I'd get a switch and pull cable if it's not too much of a pain.

You can also look into the ethernet via the electrical wiring in the house (but will still need a switch). The ethernet-electrical wiring adapters will set you back $75+ depending on brand.

Wireless to ethernet bridges also run about $100 (with some futzing, the airport express can also do this - but it works best if it's got an Airport extreme on the other end).

You could also consider a wireless router on the 2nd floor. You might need to jump through hoops, but if you get one that supports some of the open source firmware (DD-WRT) you could configure it to both extend your wireless network and act as the ethernet to wireless bridge.

Scott

OP
H
Reaction score
I guessed this would be best - but it's a pain. I can just plug the switch into an output plug on the router?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.