IPhoto photo organise question

Reaction score
I read through some of the past threads in the forum, and Apple tutorials but didn't really get the answer I need. So here are the two questions...

Can I save a photo in an new album and NOT have it/keep it in Iphoto/library too? Basically... I want to hide (yes.. that kind of hide) photos in a clandestine album, so I made a new album, took a photo from Iphoto and copied it into the new album. But when i deleted the photo in Iphoto, it also deleted the one in the new album.:Grimmace:

This leads to my next question....

I find a photo on the internet and I right click to save it. But that new album I just created does not come up on the list of places to save it; only Iphoto, library, desktop et el. With Windows, right click photo saving/copy-to gave you everything in your directory. How do i do this on Mac?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i dont have a Mac, i only use them in school but for the second question cant you just save it to the desktop and move them where ever you want later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
A photo in an album is only an alias to that photo -- it does not exist anywhere but in the iPhoto library -- the album just "points" to it. So, yes, if you delete it from your library, you will delete it from your album. No way around that.

Now, if you have many photos that you want to hide, you may want to consider creating a separate iPhoto library for just those photos (and possibly password protecting it). Then a user would have to switch the library to see the hidden photos. I'm sure there are many more suggestions out there, so sit tight and someone else will chime in, I'm sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I use my Mac and iPhoto for business, and I have personal pics that I didn't really want showing up as events when I'm showing business pics to clients. iPhoto Library Manager solved the problem for me. It allows you to create multiple photo libraries and switch between them.

It doesn't password protect, and it doesn't stop others who might use your Mac from opening particular libraries, but it does provide a way for you to open iPhoto and show others certain events while keeping other events closed in a separate library.

I use the free version. Never really looked into what the benefits of the paid version are. The free one works perfectly.

Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I read through some of the past threads in the forum, and Apple tutorials but didn't really get the answer I need. So here are the two questions...

Can I save a photo in an new album and NOT have it/keep it in Iphoto/library too? Basically... I want to hide (yes.. that kind of hide) photos in a clandestine album, so I made a new album, took a photo from Iphoto and copied it into the new album. But when i deleted the photo in Iphoto, it also deleted the one in the new album.:Grimmace:

This leads to my next question....

I find a photo on the internet and I right click to save it. But that new album I just created does not come up on the list of places to save it; only Iphoto, library, desktop et el. With Windows, right click photo saving/copy-to gave you everything in your directory. How do i do this on Mac?

Thanks

If you want to "hide" photos, simply don't put them in iPhoto. Use a 3rd party photo browser or an App like Graphic Converter (which is an excellent basic editing/browsing App) instead. Putting those kind of photos into iPhoto, assuming it is your main photo browser, is just asking to get busted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I use my Mac and iPhoto for business, and I have personal pics that I didn't really want showing up as events when I'm showing business pics to clients. iPhoto Library Manager solved the problem for me. It allows you to create multiple photo libraries and switch between them.

It doesn't password protect, and it doesn't stop others who might use your Mac from opening particular libraries, but it does provide a way for you to open iPhoto and show others certain events while keeping other events closed in a separate library.

I use the free version. Never really looked into what the benefits of the paid version are. The free one works perfectly.

Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager

You don't actually need iPhoto Library Manager (or the similar iPhoto Buddy) as you can add new albums or select from existing albums if you hold down the 'alt' key when clicking on the iPhoto icon.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To save a download to the directory you want, click on the arrow to the right side of the "Export As:" box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.