• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

NEW POWERBOOKS! Price drops!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple has released a powerbook update:
12": 1,5Ghz, 512MB RAM $1499,- 60GB hdd.
15": 1,67Ghz, 512MB RAM $1999,- 80GB hdd.
17": 1,67Ghz, 512MB RAM 100GB standard,

8x Superdrive and Airport Extreme are now standard.
Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR support.
New 100GB hdd option.

The trackpads now support scrolling: Drag 2 fingers across the trackpad to scroll horizontally or vertically.

No dual-core processors though... :(

?

)(*

****it, all i care about is the 8x superdrive and the scroll wheel.

wait, shouldnt they release some sort of firmware update for the scroll option?

T

titan0111

Aptmunich said:
Apple has released a powerbook update:
12": 1,5Ghz, 512MB RAM $1499,- 60GB hdd.
15": 1,67Ghz, 512MB RAM $1999,- 80GB hdd.
17": 1,67Ghz, 512MB RAM 100GB standard,

8x Superdrive and Airport Extreme are now standard.
Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR support.
New 100GB hdd option.

The trackpads now support scrolling: Drag 2 fingers across the trackpad to scroll horizontally or vertically.

No dual-core processors though... :(
Where can I read more about this update?

[edit] oops...I went to Apple web site...and it seems they have updated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
5400 RPM HDs are now standard across the board.

And "sudden motion sensors" to detect falls and park the hard drives when you drop them.

The scrolling trackpads are Apple's first ever scrolling pointing device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Unfortunately, the "sudden motion sensor" is not as good as it sounds. The height of the drop required to activate them would decimate the PowerBook anyway ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
With the scrolling.. wouldnt that be true what was mentioned above.. that there could be a firmware update that would then update our old powerbooks? or is it a completely new finger pad also?

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm guessing it would be possible to update the firmware - but they won't... (see iPod missing feature updates)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
S

SamR

Yeah basically the only point of those sensors is that if your information is more important than the computer itself cause the powerbook will be toast at the height it would require.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9
6 more months to wait for g5's, at least haha.

M

meltbanana314

I was all set on getting an iBook when I heard about the screen bends and got discouraged - and I almost shelled out the money for a Mac mini + display. Then in Info Tech I loaded up Slashdot to find this... =) I'm going to get a 12-incher with Combo Drive on the weekend for my birthday (provided any are actually in stock). I've already picked out a name for him: Durandal. :)

I also find it slightly weird that today was the day I dusted off my black and white Apple t-shirt and wore it again. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
finally, more macs with 512mb standard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
well about the height of the fall, how do we know it goes by height. how do we know it doesnt use an accelerometer, which is a pretty small chip, to detect acceleration. i mean, if ur just moving your notebook from the desk to the table to the bookbag to the lap, it will rarely experience accelerations as high as free fall. at least thats my opinion with some physics tied in. i hope they kick *** for everyone who buys them. have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
ahh im kinda pissed i've only had my 12 for 2 1/2 months what do you think i could get for it with applecare?

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep it! You'll only end up losing money since the new models are out and will end up kicking yourself again when the G5's are released.

It was the same with my iPod: I got the 2nd gen and 1,5 months later the 3rd gen was released. I was tempted to go out and get one, but I'm soooo glad I waited. Now I'll wait for the 6th generation iPod :)

You'll never have the latest and greatest for more than 6-8 months anyway, so see this update as a countdown to when you buy a really new one (i.e. the 2nd revision G5 or something).

Plus you'll always get a fair bit for a powerbook, no matter how old...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
IronMac said:
ahh im kinda pissed i've only had my 12 for 2 1/2 months what do you think i could get for it with applecare?

Keep it man. You liked it when you bought it right? So what's changed? Your current computer is just as good today as the day you bought it and you found it worth the money then. As AM said above me, you'll only have the latest and greatest for a short time anyway, so just enjoy what you already have.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I ordered my 17" last week but because it hadn't shipped yet they upgraded it to the new model for free! I'm a happy boy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.