Time Capsule and Sonos

MdT

Reaction score
Hi,
Hopefully someone can help me, I am using the Sonos system and have a Time Capsule backing up my Mac. All well and good, however I can't seem to direct my Sonos system to the itunes library on the time capsule. Does anyone now the path at all?

To get round to the problem I have copied my itunes library directly to a seperate folder on the Time Capsule and directed the Sonos at that folder. The problem I have now is that when I add new music to my mac it doesn;t automatically copy over, I have to do it manually.

Can anyone offer any assistance?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
you can definately use the time capsule with sonos as you have set it up, im not sure its able to read into the file that time machine creates for your backup tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-Mac, Mini, Macbook, IPod Classic, Sonos
Apple Time capsule and Sonos

In the meantime a year has passed since I saw a similar question, but not an answer. The issue; I do have an iMac (where upon stored my iTunes Library) and a Time Capsule (regularly updated by the Time machine).
What I should want is to play my Sonos directly from the Time Capsule.
Because of a different format with which the Music library is stored on the Time capsule, this is not possible.
Is there any solution, or to music library back-up in a format readable for Sonos (by the Time machine), or has Sonos in the meantime devices to read these backed up libraries?
Kind regards, Martin

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do not have a Sonos system - in fact didn't even know what it was - would suggest you try the Sonos forums though - much more likely to find an answer there.

I doubt though that it is going to be able to read the sparse bundle created by a Time Machine backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your reaction.
The question that remains is; Is there any setting/workaround to have Time Machine copy a music library in the original format to the NAS/Time capsule.
Off course this should be done while Time Machine copies the other files as usual to the Time Capsule.

I can imagine that this is also an interesting solution for other systems than Sonos!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The question that remains is; Is there any setting/workaround to have Time Machine copy a music library in the original format to the NAS/Time capsule.
Off course this should be done while Time Machine copies the other files as usual to the Time Capsule.

No, there is not. Time Machine creates a sparse bundle. It's format is what allows you to go back in time. If you want your music library kept in any format that is not the sparse bundle, your options include copying the folder to the external device. This is what I have done with my music/video library.

You could also try another backup program like CCC or SuperDuper. Don't know off hand if either one of them will copy only individual folders and have not done the research looking for such an app. I use SD to make full bootable backups and those full backups will not live on the same partition as a Time Machine backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I would use ChronoSync and sync the music on the external drive (TC in this case) to the music on your machine. Point Sonos to the external drive. This is EXACTLY what I do. ChronoSync is not free, but worth every penny. And no I do not work for them. LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sinking in the mud of my Time Capsule

Another call for help.
Finally I just copied, my ITunes library to the Time Capsule.
Result? My time machine doesn't work any more.
The ITunes library does not want to be removed.
I still cannot use my library from the Time capsule.
Being a previous PC user, I start to feel desperate. Have I made the right choice?

So, my remaining questions are:
How to restore this mess?
How can I reformat and repartition my Time Capsule (is that needed anyway if I want to use my Itunes library (copied by hand) by other systems from the Time Capsule)?
Kind regard
Martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Create two partitions like you said. Keep one for TM ONLY. Use the other one as a normal drive and copy data to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally an attractive architecture, but still a few issues

Finally I've got it. I connected two Time capsules to my wired Apple network. One works with the Time machine and makes ongoing back-ups of all connected computers. The other one contains my media collection, CD's, DVD's, Photo's etc. I directed my Sonos system to play directly from this hard disk. It works perfectly.
However, I am still facing one issue. I directed the iTunes to play directly from my Time Capsule and to store new Music also there. The playing goes well but the settings are not stable. New CD's are not loaded to the Time capsule, but to the original directory.
Who is familiar with the cause and how to solve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Did you change the media location in iTunes?

screenshot 2009-10-12 at 8.05.38 AM.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.