• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie and avchd files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM
I am a total novice to video editing and also my MBP which I have proudly owned now for 3 days:D

I connected my Sony HDR-SR11 to the MBP and iMovie spotted it but only found the standard definition filing I have on the camcorder. I cant seem to find the HD stuff. Is there anything im missing here. Will iMovie handle AVCHD files:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.18MHz
I have a similar issue but using a PANASONIC HDC-DX1 Camcorder. It also creates AVCHD files and I don't know what or how to import them. I bought an external DVD because I could't find a way to connect the camcorder to the MacBook, probably it wasn't so difficult.

Anyway, if someone has an idea on how to deal with AVCHD it would be highly appreciated to get your insight.

Cheeers
Raul

Reaction score
I have a canon hg20 and imovie has no problem with the imports. I only record in HD so, I'm not sure if I can help here. The only thing that I can tell you guys is that it will do AVCHD.

Good Luck

Reaction score
sony hd into imovie 08

i had the same problem when i got a sony HDR-UX5 a few months ago...somehow I ended up starting iMovie then connecting the camcorder and it would pick it up...if you search back you might see some of those post's starting about may of 2008...i'll look back in a day or so and if you can't figure it out i'll try and go back and write down step by step how i do it now...but...i definitely get the achvd full high definition videos to my mac with imovie 08

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A step by step walk through would be great.
i had the same problem when i got a sony HDR-UX5 a few months ago...somehow I ended up starting iMovie then connecting the camcorder and it would pick it up...if you search back you might see some of those post's starting about may of 2008...i'll look back in a day or so and if you can't figure it out i'll try and go back and write down step by step how i do it now...but...i definitely get the achvd full high definition videos to my mac with imovie 08

Reaction score
I think the problem you may be having is related to the SD content. Try deleting it from the camcorder and you should be able to import the AVCHD to imovie.

See http:// support. apple. com/ kb/ HT1793

Paul

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the problem you may be having is related to the SD content. Try deleting it from the camcorder and you should be able to import the AVCHD to imovie.

See http:// support. apple. com/ kb/ HT1793

Paul

Just been through my HD camcorder ( HDR-SR11 ) and deleted the SD stuff and low and behold the HD popped up on iMovie. Thanks Paul, +rep on its way :D

Reaction score
imovie and avchd files

It doesn't work for me.:'( I have a sony HDR-SR10. It didn't occur to me it wouldn't work!

Is your mac an intel one? Mine isn't, I think that's my problem?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't work for me.:'( I have a sony HDR-SR10. It didn't occur to me it wouldn't work!

Yup, mines an Intel if that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White
I have the Sony HDR-SR5 which is AVCHD and I had an iMac G5 and that wouldnt do the HD contect as it wasnt Intel. Only intel based machines and I also happen to believe that its Core 2 Duos, not just Core Duos that have been supported..

Andi

Reaction score

IIRC only imovie 08 and up supports AVCHD files, Im not sure which version of ilife you have but that may also be the issue.

Reaction score
Yes, AVCHD files require iMovie '08 or iMovie '09 to edit. Both of those apps require an Intel Mac.

Reaction score
System info: MacPro Tower with Intel processors.

I have two different cameras that record HD video. I have a Sony HDR-SR1. I use iMovie 09 to upload the AVCHD files. Here is the rub. If you have SD files loaded, iMovie will only read those files. For iMovie to recognize the AVCHD files you have to delete the SD files off the camera first. Once that happens, iMovie 09 recognizes the files and will upload them into the program.

My other camera is a Cannon 5D Mark II and the HD files are recognized by iPhoto and uploaded. The files are recognized by iMovie and uploaded when you start the program.

Hope this helps!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
closed as this thread has become a spammers choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.