My first Mac, many questions, many problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 15-inch, 2.4 ghz, 250 gb Hard drive, 2 GB of 1066 mgz Ram
This is the second time typing this in. I cannot get used to this darn trackpad. Give me a mouse any day of the week!!

OK, installed AOL. It is not on the "dock" as a short cut. Every time I use it, must "dig" it out of applications to start it up.

Last night, installed MSN Messenger for Mac. This thing won't let me know it is downloading, it simply starts downloading, then I find out I have downloaded 7 copies of the same thing. I installed MSN messenger, then deleted all the copies I downloaded. Wouldn't let me delete them cuz it said they were "in use." Today when I logged online, now I can't find MSN messenger. It is nowhere in applications!

How do I make a short cut? How do I let this thing TELL me it is downloading so I don't get 7 copies of the same thing over and over?

I think the thing that bugs me the most is this track pad...is there any way to make it more like a trackpad on a regular Windows PC? I can't get used to the one-click thing, then can't figure out how to right click/left click to see other options...does that make sense? I am going crazy here, any help appreciated. It is the little things that are ticking me off on here!

Thanks,
Tallulah:Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Open your Applications folder and drag whatever App you want in the dock to the dock. It will add a shortcut there for you.

As for MSN, I can't help you but I understand it is a pretty crappy App on OSX.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" recyclable MacBook Pro - Go Green!
I suggest you use a regular mouse till you get used to OSX. And once you know the how's and where's, start using the trackpad.

Thats what I did and it has decreased my frustration at learning too may new things simultaneously, considerably!!

Reaction score
You can also check the status of downloads by opening the "Downloads" window under the Window menu in Safari. Safari works similar to Firefox in that respect and it takes some getting used to for Windows people.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, thank you for all your help. Got my screen unfroze too with the help of a Compaq tech. Going to get my mouse for use with this thing..will be a LOT easier!

You guys are the BEST!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Aluminum MacBook
To right-click, click using two fingers.

A "shortcut" is called an Alias. You can easily create one by right-clicking the file and choosing "Create Alias."

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Installing applications on OS X is very different than Windows. It's actually much easier, but it seems very strange at first. If the application has an installer, it's a no-brainer, but if it doesn't, it typically goes something like this.

1. Download application (i.e. MSN Messenger) to Downloads folder.
2. The download is usually an image which needs to be 'mounted'. Mounting makes it appear as an icon on the desktop. If it doesn't appear on the desktop automatically, click on it from the downloads folder. Otherwise click the icon it places on the desktop. A window opens which usually contains the application, as well as a shortcut to your Applications folder.
3. Drag the application (program you are trying to install) to the 'Applications' icon and release it over top of it. You can also drag it to the Applications link in the sidebar on the left side of your Finder window. (this installs the application).
4. Close the open windows.
5. Drag the image icon on the desktop to the trash, or right-click and select Eject. This unmounts the image, which you no longer need. (This doesn't actually delete it. It's still in your Downloads folder.)
6. Now if you open the Applications folder, you should see the installed program there. (You can also drag it over to your dock if desired.)
7. Run the program from the Applications folder, not the image on the desktop which you should have ejected in step #5.

Windows applications are almost always made of hundreds, if not thousands of files. Typically, you can't run a Windows application without installing it.

OS X is different. Applications are frequently just one single file. Dragging the file to your Applications folder copies it there, thus "installing" it.

Because the application is made of a single file, you can actually run the application without installing it (although you shouldn't). This may be what you are trying to do with MSN Messenger. You can click the icon inside the image you downloaded and run the program. But it doesn't get installed until you give it a permanent home in your Applications folder. If you restart the machine, the image is unmounted, and you can't find the program you were just running because you never installed it.

Hope this simplifies the process rather than making it seem more complicated than it really is. And if MSN Messenger has an installer similar to Windows, then disregard the whole post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.4ghz unibody, 2gb ddr3 ram, 250gb 5400-rpm hd
may i also suggest using adium in place of msn messenger? it worked much better for me as a new switcher too and there are lots of options for customization under the xtras tab. hope this helps! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
another prog that is much like msn is amsn but it can be a bit buggy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
This is the second time typing this in. I cannot get used to this **** trackpad. Give me a mouse any day of the week!!

OK, installed AOL. It is not on the "dock" as a short cut. Every time I use it, must "dig" it out of applications to start it up.

Last night, installed MSN Messenger for Mac. This thing won't let me know it is downloading, it simply starts downloading, then I find out I have downloaded 7 copies of the same thing. I installed MSN messenger, then deleted all the copies I downloaded. Wouldn't let me delete them cuz it said they were "in use." Today when I logged online, now I can't find MSN messenger. It is nowhere in applications!

I think the thing that bugs me the most is this track pad...is there any way to make it more like a trackpad on a regular Windows PC? I can't get used to the one-click thing, then can't figure out how to right click/left click to see other options...does that make sense?

hahaha
;D :D

I'm laughing because the precious day I got my macbook; I was going through the same thing!
The first thing that was driving me nuts was weening myself on windows right click; i thought windows right click was a gift from heaven
now i got so used to the 2 finger right click i try to do it whenever I am on a PC!!!
You will not miss the windows right click anymore in about a month, but the switch is soooo painful in the beginning.
and LOL at installing an app 7 times because the computer quietly downloads it
I did it so many times
think of it this way it takes a pc like 10 mins to an hour to download a program while it takes the mac like 5 seconds! It's so cool.

But honestly there were times when I was upset about spending so much money on this computer but give yourself time. I'm in love with this machine now lol.
It's just a matter of getting used to it. Soon you'll WANT to activate the corners of your trackpad and you'll love it. The trackpad can do so much that a windows machine cannot. You'll want to download cool stuff on your dashboard.
I still don't think I'm getting the full MAC experience, I want to learn so much more.
And this forum and google is so helpful!!
Good luck!
:p

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a single reason why anyone would use AOL for anything. I'm actually surprised they still exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
i guess because you have the account and don't want to get rid of it?
i dunno
i agree it does suck though

Reaction score
You can also right-click by holding down the ctrl key as you click.

Most frustrations are probably arising from you trying to use your Mac like you would a PC. They are different and you will find the Mac much easier to use. Just stop thinking "in windows" and start thinking "in Mac" and things will go smoothly.

Unfortunately, Windows has people convinced computers are hard to use, programs should crash frequently, and the computer should become unresponsive for no apparent reason. Macs surprise people when they work the way you think they should.

There are numerous switcher help articles out there, Google will lead you to them. Here is one to get you started: Your first day with a new Mac: the get-started guide for Windows users | News | TechRadar UK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.