• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A crazy amazing thing that happened to me!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Well the other day I was coming home from working on a job at a local hotel (I'm a custom cabinet maker) and a truly amazing thing happened. I was driving through a residential area when something caught my eye out by the road next to a garbage can. It was a very familiar silver tower computer. I immediately turned around and pulled over, and was amazed to see what looked to be either a PowerMac G5 or a Mac Pro sitting out by the sidewalk waiting to be thrown into the back of a garbage truck. It looked like it was in great shape, so I went up to the door and knocked. A nice lady answered and told me it was her husband's computer, and he had not been able to get it to boot for a long time, so had bought a new one. She said I could have it if I wanted, but her husband had removed the hard drive and she didn't know where the disks or anything were, but as far as she knew everything else was intact. I thanked her very much and loaded the computer into my car.

When I got home I immediately opened it up to look inside. Everything looked fine, all the parts were there except for a hard drive. I also discovered to my amazement that this was indeed an intel Mac Pro. I popped in a spare hard drive I had lying around and powered it up. Of course I got the flashing question mark, but it did power up fine. So I put in my Leopard DVD (I have the family pack, so far only installed on 3 Macs) and went to boot from it. Got the Apple logo but as soon as the wheel started turning it kernel panicked! My first instinct when this happens is to try swapping RAM around, in case there is a bad module. It had 2x1 GB of RAM installed, so I just took one of the modules out. Same problem. I switched it for the other one, and IT BOOTED! I installed Leopard without a hitch and it booted right up into the installation without issues. About this Mac shows that this has 2 x 3 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors, which I believe would make it a first generation Mac Pro. It has an ATI Radeon X1900 XT with 512 MB memory.

I have been playing around with this thing now for a couple days and I simply can not believe how lucky I am. It was like winning the lottery. I'm still not sure exactly what I am going to do with it, but this is just so amazing I can't stop looking at it!

For those who don't want to read my long post:

- Found Mac Pro about to be sent to dump.

- Took Mac Pro home.

- Fixed Mac Pro.

- Free Mac Pro!!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
holy cow!

buy a lottery ticket, NOW! before that luck runs dry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iSight, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD.
That is soooo cool! Good find... Enjoy it whatever you end up doing with it...

Ignore eric, BUY SEVERAL LOTTERY TICKETS INSTEAD!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is too cool.

Good thing for you he wasn't a member of this forum. It would have been fixed in a couple of days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Congrats! I wish stuff like this would happen to me! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That's just cool. Bet the guy who tossed it would feel stupid if he knew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
nah, you already blew the luck.

Cool! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Core due Macbook white, 32GB iPod Touch
amazing story! makes me wonder why the old owner removed the hard drive though before he threw it out...hmm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
In light of this post I will spend all night driving the streets looking for macs! Thats really awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Congrats! Amazing what people will throw out. Even a broken down Mac Pro is worth money!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Metal version
Maybe I should stick my broken MacBook out my the curb. Haha! Wonder if the story would make it back here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
amazing story! makes me wonder why the old owner removed the hard drive though before he threw it out...hmm

If anyone took it, and he didn't delete his data...

There might then be 'two husbands', if you get what I am saying.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That is an awesome story. Reminds me of something that happened to me once.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Probably had important info on there...or pics he didn't want floating around. >_>"

Wow you are super lucky. I'm surprised that he would just throw something like that out, just because it wouldn't boot. He could have sold the thing for parts.

Amazing story. Too bad things like that don't happen to me very often. Closes thing to that was finding a 100 dollar bill when I was eight years old outside of a dry cleaners. I still have the bill. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
That is sweet! Congratz. I think I would have grabbed the computer and held it in my arms as I walked to the door just encase someone else was to drive and and decide they wanted it! haha :D

Reaction score
That is cool, but sorry to burst your bubble... that is how all of us on MF got our computers! ;D

I think I can speak for all when I say, I WISH!!!

OP
ADKhikerVW
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yeah, I couldn't believe that they were going to throw it out either. However, I did find it in a very wealthy part of town, where a $2500 plus computer probably isn't all that much of an investment, and isn't even worth getting repaired.

I picked up some more RAM tonight after work and got it up to 3 GB. Too bad it is hooked up to an ancient Dell LCD. I think I am going to sell it and use the money towards a new MacBook Pro. I am typing on my fiancee's niece's unibody MacBook right now, and I have to say I am in love with the looks of it, and the trackpad.

BTW I bought two scratch offs tonight too.. no luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
Wow, unbelievable. I can honestly say I am very envious of you right now. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.