iTunes, encoded with...

Reaction score
OK, so you know how if you go to the "summary" for a song on iTunes, there is a line that says "encoded with", unless the song was purchased form the iTunes store?

Most of mine usually say iTunes/Quicktime, and have the versions of them listed.

But if it says something other than iTunes/Quicktime, does that mean it was probably taken off of limewire or myspace, or downloaded somewhere else like that online?

Like if it says "unknown" or "LAME3.92"?

I recently got a buncha music off a friend's computer. She always gets music from her friends, so she's not sure where it all comes from.

I don't like having songs from limewire on my computer, because the quality is crappier. Plus I just don't like the thought of it...

Am I right about the "encoded with" thing?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What it was encoded with tells you nothing really about where it comes from.

Several of the albums I've purchased through Amazon list unknown. Several more list a LAME version. My own CD's I've imported, some don't even display that line at all.

Not to say all enocoders are equal, but I'd be more inclined to look at the bit rate and what it sounds like than with what it was encoded.

And, sorry to say, whether it comes off a friend's computer or limewire, not really any difference there.

OP
D
Reaction score
What it was encoded with tells you nothing really about where it comes from.

Several of the albums I've purchased through Amazon list unknown. Several more list a LAME version. My own CD's I've imported, some don't even display that line at all.

Not to say all enocoders are equal, but I'd be more inclined to look at the bit rate and what it sounds like than with what it was encoded.

And, sorry to say, whether it comes off a friend's computer or limewire, not really any difference there.

oooh ok
yeah, i get that morally/legally it really doesn't make a difference if it comes from a friend's computer or limewire. it's not that that bothers me. it's just that limewire songs tend to be crappy quality...

is there a certain bit rate i should look for at all?

Reaction score
I try for a minimum of 192kbps (unless it's VBR=Variable Bit Rate) for MP3 files. But it can dependent on the type of music and where it is played etc.

LAME is one of the best encoders, IMHO.

Personally, I prefer FLAC, ALAC, APE or other Lossless format - if space is not a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.