stuck mini disk in macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
160gb iPod, G4 Powerbook, 30 Gb iPod, MacBook Pro 15" 2.4ghz, 250gb HD 4gbRam, 3G Apple iPhone
hi, my niece stuck a mini disk into my macbook pro.

now it is stuck.

how can i get it out? i am in some small town on vacation, there is no apple store within 5 hours.

any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I assume you've tried to eject it in the normal way with no luck? Other folks who have run into the same difficulty have gotten the mini disk out using various methods:

1. Try keeping the slot open with a piece of masking tape or light cellophane tape. Turn the MBP on its side and jiggle it until the mini disk is fairly loose from the holder grip. Use a long tweezer or small needle nose pliers to grab hold of the disk and pull it out. Be very careful not to damage the mechanism or especially the optical sensor.

2. Again keep the slot open and jiggle the machine to loosen the disk. Place a small amount of double sided tape on a thin plastic ruler. Reach in with the ruler and grab hold (with the tape) of the disk making sure it sticks to the tape... and gently lift it up and out with caution as above.

Of course make sure the machine is powered down when you attempt the above. I would also recommend removing the battery just in case.

If no joy, you'll have to wait until you can get the machine to a qualified service tech who will be able to remove the drive and eventually the disk. That will probably be a bit expensive. :(

Regards.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would try using either a business card or 3x5 card to slip under the disk and hopefully ease it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
While turned sideway, a pair of needle nose pliers helps!

Reaction score
My niece did this same thing. Thanks, advice worked.

hi, my niece stuck a mini disk into my macbook pro.

now it is stuck.

how can i get it out? i am in some small town on vacation, there is no apple store within 5 hours.

any ideas?

Putting double stick tape on plastic card did the trick. Once you place tape on card inserted into slot and pulled out with disk attached. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Back at the fruit stand, we would take the computer (out of sight of the user) and firmly shake it so that gravity would cause the disk to stick out just a bit. Usually only required a few shakes (yes I know, if you shake it more than a few times, you're just playing with it!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.