Painting with Light..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM
I was asked in the Photo of the Month thread what the term 'Painting with Light' meant, so instead of hijacking that thread ill try to explain/demonstrate in this thread.. Maybe even get a few Mac Users posting up their shots :)

So painting with light is exactly that, allowing light to 'stain' the sensor of your digital camera (also works with film) to create effects that are clever and visually attractive..

Ill post a few example shots..

(outdated link removed)

This is around a 10 - 15 shutter speed (meaning the camera was taking in light for 10 or 15 seconds) and because the cars were driving past at speed, the only thing that made an impact on the camera's sensor was the head/tail lights. I like this shot :)

(outdated link removed)

This was again, a long shutter speed (works best when painting with light), as you can see the Thames looks very calm and the London Eye seems to be 'moving'

(outdated link removed)

Now this one was a 30 second exposure, and I literally had a torch and used it like a sparkler. You know when you try to write your name by moving it really fast? However you need a steady hand and this is more like painting with light, as you physically have to paint the words/symbol/picture into the air.

These were all done with a tripod, and I strongly suggest investing in one if you have a DSLR and want to get into photography.

Thanks,
Lewis.

P.S Have a go at it and let me see :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Very nice little tutorial! Here are some of mine:

(outdated links removed)

This one was hand held, which is why it is so noisy...

(outdated links removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
Ok, so if I understand this right, camera on a tripod just as if I were taking a low light shot with a slow shutter speed, but with a moving, lighted object, moving thru the picture... I will definitely be playing with this one...thanks and once I get some shots taken, will post some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
(outdated link removed)
This is around a 10 - 15 shutter speed

Preview says it was; a 15 second shot, F5.6, at ISO 100.

This is one reason I like digital photography over film. You get that important information of the original picture which with a little studying can help reproduce good effects and rid you of bad ones.

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
This is the first 20 seconds of a plane taking off from Exeter airport..

DSC_0668.jpg

OP
Lewwy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotta love Exif Data :p

Nice shots BlueMac, especially like the first one :)
J_K, looks like the plan had a turbulant start :p
Very nice though, I love long exposures..

I took a few over Christmas because my g/f bought me *my first tripod*, ill post them up later..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
Here are some of mine. That and those long exposures of traffic, or night scenes...I wouldn't call light painting, since the point of it is to "paint" or "draw" w/ the light, but they are still cool shots

Xmas_gift_for_Girl_Friend_by_NorCalNomad.jpg

hm have a few more just need to find em...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice shots BlueMac, especially like the first one :)

Thank you. :)

Hey Nor Cal Nomad- you did well! You might, however, want to try to stay out of street lit areas, or places lit by other lights- so that your figure doesn't appear (or at least isn't as apparent).

OP
Lewwy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are some of mine. That and those long exposures of traffic, or night scenes...I wouldn't call light painting, since the point of it is to "paint" or "draw" w/ the light, but they are still cool shots

Xmas_gift_for_Girl_Friend_by_NorCalNomad.jpg

hm have a few more just need to find em...

Your absolutely right, 2 of mine technically aren't painting with light, but the light had still stained the sensor and moved on, thats what I was trying to get across, and I preferred the Big Ben shot to the one where I did actually draw :p

Yours however are awesome :)

I need to order me some colored torches..

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Just get some gels mate.

Cheaper than a load of new torches lol

OP
Lewwy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good idea. I need a torch aswell though :p
What we thinking? Maglite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good idea. I need a torch aswell though :p
What we thinking? Maglite?

A nice laser could do well. I use one, tonight I will be trying to write with the laser in my backyard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G
Just get some gels mate.

Cheaper than a load of new torches lol

you don't need colored ones...I used full Gatorade bottles in the first one. They glow when you put a light to em.

A nice laser could do well. I use one, tonight I will be trying to write with the laser in my backyard.

And w/ a laser you would want to be behind the camera pointing it onto a surface. I've done that also, I don't like it though since the laser is such a thin line

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you don't need colored ones...I used full Gatorade bottles in the first one. They glow when you put a light to em.

(outdated link removed) And w/ a laser you would want to be behind the camera pointing it onto a surface. I've done that also, I don't like it though since the laser is such a thin line

Heh, I was trying that on my bedroom door this morning.... it actually came out pretty well!

Also; quite innovative using full gatorade bottles w/ a light!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo processor / 15" / 120Gb HD / SuperDrive / Express / Firewire / Tiger OS X
I had the camera resting on a bench seat to take this one.

2478262348_67a9c8aaf6.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
you guys are awesome. I love that stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really nicely done, MacRab! What city did you take that in? (just wondering)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
technically, isn't all photography painting with light? since even in painting, you don't need to "move" the brush, just add pigment to canvas (just look at seurat).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
technically, isn't all photography painting with light? since even in painting, you don't need to "move" the brush, just add pigment to canvas (just look at seurat).

Hmm, I suppose so. But since the photographer is using light to create an image out of light, you are technically 'painting and image.'

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
any time you take a photo you're making an image out of light. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.