g5 hard drive mystery problems

Z

zzlaz

I have a new power mac g5 with a 160G Maxtor 9 drive. I recently installed a 2nd 300G maxtor 10 drive. Everything worked fine. 24 hours ago i networked the machine and copied about 100G of data onto each drive. Again, no problems.

When I came back today, the machine was making lots of noise. No monitor was attached one and I rebooted before I attached one. I got the finder window question mark for no OS. After running the hardware diagnostic check I received the 2STF/1/4 error message for no hard drive. So I uninstalled the 2nd drive and ran the check again - no errors. But the machine still wouldn't boot. Nor would it boot from the install disk.

Subsequently I tried both drives on another G5 and both worked fine. I even ran the diagnostic check on the other machine and found no errors.

Does this sound like a motherboard problem? How would it come out of nowhere like that. I worked on the machine for a good couple of hours yesterday and no problems. Any ideas appreciated.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.