Potential Macbook Purchaser needs Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu 2.4 Macbook, 4gb Ram, 250gb hdd
Hi everyone -

I am a senior in college, my dell laptop just bit the dust, and I am in the market for a new laptop. I have my eyes on the new macbook, and as a potential mac owner I have a couple of questions regarding a purchasing decision I am about to make:

How noticeable is the difference between the 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processors?

I am not a big power user... I run itunes, office documents, and anywhere from 4-9 tabs on my internet browser. I am not into video editing right now, but this might be something that comes in the future...​

If I am running boot camp, how susceptible am I to viruses/malware/trojans and the like?

I am not extremely familiar with how viruses work, but I am just concerned that if I open a bad email or file while using xp or vista, is part of my machine susceptible? Any clarification is fantastic!​

With Snow Leopard on the horizon, should I wait to purchase a mac?

I do not want to have to shell out another couple hundred bucks in a few months to be up to date.​

Is 4gb of memory the only way to go?...

I want to know if the additional $150 is worthwhile. I am planning on doubling the ram witht his option, but want to know if it is a swell idea.​

Is running boot camp, and using microsoft office through that avenue efficient?

I have read mediocre reviews regarding the mac version of office 2008. Also - I will be using office 08' as I have projects due, and generally many files I receive are in ".docx" format.​

That about does it for the questions I can think of now, but am sure more will arise. I appreciate all the help, and will be frequenting these boards often in the next few days as I plan on purchasing a computer in the next week or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
Hi everyone -

I am a senior in college, my dell laptop just bit the dust, and I am in the market for a new laptop. I have my eyes on the new macbook, and as a potential mac owner I have a couple of questions regarding a purchasing decision I am about to make:

How noticeable is the difference between the 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processors?

I am not a big power user... I run itunes, office documents, and anywhere from 4-9 tabs on my internet browser. I am not into video editing right now, but this might be something that comes in the future...​

If I am running boot camp, how susceptible am I to viruses/malware/trojans and the like?

I am not extremely familiar with how viruses work, but I am just concerned that if I open a bad email or file while using xp or vista, is part of my machine susceptible? Any clarification is fantastic!​

With Snow Leopard on the horizon, should I wait to purchase a mac?

I do not want to have to shell out another couple hundred bucks in a few months to be up to date.​

Is 4gb of memory the only way to go?...

I want to know if the additional $150 is worthwhile. I am planning on doubling the ram witht his option, but want to know if it is a swell idea.​

Is running boot camp, and using microsoft office through that avenue efficient?

I have read mediocre reviews regarding the mac version of office 2008. Also - I will be using office 08' as I have projects due, and generally many files I receive are in ".docx" format.​

That about does it for the questions I can think of now, but am sure more will arise. I appreciate all the help, and will be frequenting these boards often in the next few days as I plan on purchasing a computer in the next week or so.

The difference between a 2.0 and a 2.4 ghz CPU is very negligible, for what you are wanting to do, you wouldn't notice the difference.

If your running Windows via Bootcamp / Parallels / Fusion, your computer would be at risk just like any other Windows PC out there. You would need to use some sort of Anti-Virus software when using any version of Windows.

Snow Leopard is rumored to be a version of OS X that is made to run only on a Intel Mac. Not going to feature packed like 10.5 is now, just re-fining it to work better with Intel CPU's and a true 64bit OS. Waiting for it now to be released is really a user option.

You can get the Mac with the base amount of Ram and then use a third party supplier (like Newegg.com) and pick up 4GB of ram A LOT cheaper than Apple will sell it to you. I'm currently using a 2GB G.Skill Ram module, and have been for close to 2 years now, with no problems at all.

Right now you can get Ms Office:Mac 2008. Which is the same as Office 2007 for the PC. I personally use Ms Office:Mac 2008 on my Mac, and Office 2007 on all my PC's, the .docx files work seamlessly with each other, with no problems. The only time you would really have issues is when using Powerpoint.

I hope I have answered your questions well enough to give you a good understanding of all this new Mac stuff. Don't hesitate to ask anything else!

I would recommend using Parallels or Fusion to run Windows, it can run Windows and all there App's at a very decent speed, considering it is running inside a Virtual Machine. I use it all the time, as there are specific programs I need to run in Windows, and it's a lot faster than having to reboot every time you want to use a specific Windows App.

OP
C9 JUKE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your help!

I overlooked the fact that the backlit keyboard only comes with the 2.4 model - so that pretty much seals it for me. (Along with the extra hdd space, which is a minor plus... I will be using this in dark rooms often, so I think the backlit keyboard is the way to go) So, that solves that portion.

If a partition is infected, is it possible to clean the that partition via a reboot or reinstallation and be fine? If my windows partition goes bad, does it affect the mac side, and if so how do I rectify that situation?

I spoke with an assistant via chat at apple.com and she said she would personally wait to see what is announced about snow leopard at macworld to make a more informed decision... So, depending on snow leopards release will determine when I purchase my macbook.

I love newegg, but I am not comfortable customizing a laptop on my own.. especially a new single bodied sexy investment like the new macbook. Do you recommend taking it to someone?...

I understand you can buy the mac version of office, but I am concerned that it is not as fluid and functional as the windows version.. Do you find that to be the case? I am thinking I will bootcamp or parrallel into windows for word processing and such.

Thanks again for your reply, and I look forward to mroe input!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The $150 to upgrade to 4GB direct from Apple is not as big a rip-off for the DDR3 the new Macbook uses as it has been in the past for DDR2.

The DDR3 4GB kits even from newegg will run you $95-$115 and $125 from Crucial.

It really is up to you although it is not that big a deal to install memory.

A virus in windows will not affect OS X. If Windows gets infected, it will be exactly the same pitr as any other Windows machine.

If you can go the 3 weeks or so without a computer, that's up to you. As far as an upgrade in a few months, that is something that is going to happen with computers ... period. The older you get, the more use to it you will become.

OP
C9 JUKE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the help. I basically need the computer by jan. 15th. I would prefer to wait until snow leopard, but with the work I need to finish for my major, and the fact that I have no computer - I guess I will just have to purchase the snow leopard update if it is available that way - and just nto released with newer models.

Thanks again for the clarification - I will not be purchassing my own 4gb ddr3 ram as it doesnt save a substantial amount of money at this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ iphone4S 32GB.Ipad 3G
Hello potential mac owner

I myself for the last couple of months been researching as you are now,and decided on the new 13" aluminum mac book 2.4 250 with backlit keyboard. To my surprize my wife's xmas gift to me was the eaqualy powerful black macbook that the new unibody mac has just replaced. I am realy enjoying the machine. You see this mac I just got is identical in features minus the 1/2 lb. in wieght,backlit keys, and glass mousepad. Oh and about $500. I used my previous laptop for fileing purposes with Mic. Word, so what ive done so far was to download an app free from open office.org that reads/identifys all text documents. I hope ive helped you some

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
...You see this mac I just got is identical in features minus the 1/2 lb. in wieght,backlit keys, and glass mousepad. Oh and about $500. I used my previous laptop for fileing purposes with Mic. Word, so what ive done so far was to download an app free from open office.org that reads/identifys all text documents. I hope ive helped you some

Previous gen doesn't have multitouch, and the GPU is not as good as the new Unibody MB, and the ram is slightly faster.

It's still a nice machine. ^-^

OP
C9 JUKE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ipsdude - How and where did your wife acquire that macbook? Even that older gen has backlit keys? Does the white one for $999 on apple.com have it.

What are your thoughts on the white macbook with 4gb ram for $999 on apple.com? Am I better off getting something refurbished?

I kinda want the new multi-touch trackpad...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.