Please help with some opinions

Reaction score
So I currently have a 2.4GHZ MBP.....

I'll be getting rid of it, but I'm trying to decide on my next Mac purchase and what it will be. I just don't need all the power that the MBP has, and am looking for something a little smaller.

I like the new Aluminum macbook's, but I've ALWAYS liked the black Macbook's.

Obviously the technical spec's are the major difference, but I'm trying to find the pro's and con's between the two.

Any help? Blackbook user's, do you love yours? Aluminum users, any things you hate/don't like/care for????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I switched from a Black MacBook and bought a new Aluminum MacBook. Best decision ever!!

-I hated how the Black MacBook showed fingerprints.....not an issue with the Aluminum model

-Black MacBook doesn't have a backlit keyboard

-Black MacBook doesn't have new glass touchpad (which works exceptionally well IMO)

OP
M
Reaction score
hmmm...you present very valid points.

I don't really care for the lit keyboard - I don't normally type in low light areas except if I'm in bed, and even then, i still know where the keys are and can see them thanks to the brightness of the screen so I think I would keep things simple and cheaper and get the non-lit keyboard.

Your other two points however, present value. I googled some pictures of blackbooks and you see nothing but fingerprints on them!!!!

So thanks, Khris :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One important question you need to ask yourself first - do you need Firewire or the added expansion capability that ExpressCard/34 affords?

OP
M
Reaction score
One important question you need to ask yourself first - do you need Firewire or the added expansion capability that ExpressCard/34 affords?

That is a big negative.

I have yet to use the card slot in my current MBP, and I have never used firewire...lol. I need a new digital camera, But i think when i buy one, it will be the nikon D90 or the canon XSI....but even then i think I would use my card reader....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a big negative.

I have yet to use the card slot in my current MBP, and I have never used firewire...lol. I need a new digital camera, But i think when i buy one, it will be the nikon D90 or the canon XSI....but even then i think I would use my card reader....

Yeah, that's the only problem I have with that model. Personally, I'm going to wait until USB 3.0 comes out. Until then, no high-speed external bus options is a non-starter for me.

Also, do note that Apple uses a lesser quality display panel in the MacBook line. Since the display panel in the MacBook Pros is decent to mediocre in my opinion, I can't imagine something worse.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the only problem I have with that model. Personally, I'm going to wait until USB 3.0 comes out. Until then, no high-speed external bus options is a non-starter for me.

Also, do note that Apple uses a lesser quality display panel in the MacBook line. Since the display panel in the MacBook Pros is decent to mediocre in my opinion, I can't imagine something worse.

True...I couldn't believe the difference in screen's when i got my mbp. Mind you i went from a TFT to the LED, but still....

USB 3.0?
Do you know when that's coming?

That's a good question.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Well the sale for my macbook pro fell through, so it looks like there will be no new macbook for me anyways :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd just keep it and wait for the kinks to be worked out of the first generation new MacBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I don't really care for the lit keyboard

I never thought they were a big deal either until I had to go back to a laptop without one. I will never buy another laptop unless it has a backlit keyboard.

As for the "inferior" screens which people have been complaining about, I really can't say there is ANYTHING wrong with the screen on my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ iphone4S 32GB.Ipad 3G
Kris is soo right

but what Kris didnt include was the price, I want to defend my new blackbook primarily becasuse my wife didnt want to spend the extra $500 bucks :(
I switched from a Black MacBook and bought a new Aluminum MacBook. Best decision ever!!

-I hated how the Black MacBook showed fingerprints.....not an issue with the Aluminum model

-Black MacBook doesn't have a backlit keyboard

-Black MacBook doesn't have new glass touchpad (which works exceptionally well IMO)

OP
M
Reaction score
but what Kris didnt include was the price, I want to defend my new blackbook primarily becasuse my wife didnt want to spend the extra $500 bucks :(

I can totally understand your point if cost is an issue.

Well I think I have found a buyer within the forums!!!!!

Hopefully if all goes smoothly I should have a new macbook (i've decided on aluminum) within a couple weeks!!!! Woot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Keep the screen in mind. Some people have made a big deal about the reflective screen. I personally dont see a problem with it but i have never used it outside.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.